We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant near University Circle?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Restaurant near University Circle?

We're making a trip out to Cleveland to visit our son at CIM--the first since he enrolled there. We are staying at an Airbnb in Cleveland Heights. We will have two dinners with him, and maybe a lunch depending on his rehearsal schedule. On Saturday night he wants to go to Trentina (we ate their food when we stayed at Glidden House). Any suggestions for Sunday night? (by then we will have checked out of the Airbnb and will probably stash our luggage in his dorm room). We eat any type of cuisine and we enjoy a good meal. Our son feels like he's exhausted Little Italy and doesn't want to go there.

Any tips would be helpful. This will be the first of many trips over the next 8 semesters.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

Are you looking for a fancier night out or just good food? There's a Barrio location in Cleveland Heights now; build your own tacos (phenomenal) and great margaritas. It's pretty popular in Cleveland, particularly with the younger crowd. Melt Bar & Grill is also a popular choice for an informal evening—they're known for only making specialized and crazy grilled cheese sandwiches. I don't really go there too much, but I do like it, and I guess it's worth trying if you're in the area. Balaton in Shaker Square is a Hungarian restaurant—rich, hearty food and GIGANTIC servings.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

For a nice meal we really like L’Albatros , it is on Bellflower Rd in the University Circle neighborhood. The food and service are always very good. If you are ever visiting during warmer weather they have a really nice patio.

ohio
Level Contributor
535 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

L'Albatros is wonderful!

Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
614 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

I totally agree with L'Abatros as a great choice in University Circle, and I also love Balaton's for excellent Hungarian food, a very Cleveland experience (as is Sokolowski's University Inn on the near West Side). Also on Shaker Square are Fire and Edwin's if you wish to spend more money. In case you haven't already, be sure to have Mitchell's Ice Cream at Uptown for dessert.

Columbus, Ohio
8 posts
5. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

If you want some good Italian food for relatively modest prices, then you could try Trattoria on the Hill. There is also a decent Pan-Asian restaurant nearby called Ninja City that I find pretty good. Depends on your tastes.

Columbus, Ohio
8 posts
6. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

The first read through I skimmed over the fact that you said restaurants minus Little Italy. That would put Tratt on the Hill of the question.

Edited: 25 October 2017, 02:37
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
69 reviews
7. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

Believe it or not there are some neat places on the campus of CWRU, like the Jolly Scholar and the Denny's All Nighter Diner. The food is good and the atmosphere is a lot of fun. Although L'Albatros is nice, it is too pricy and overrated for me. You are paying for atmosphere and the exclusivity of eating at a very pricy restaurant.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

Thanks everyone. We didn't know about the Hungarian population so that's a definite spot for one of these trips.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
252 posts
93 reviews
9. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

Don’t forget about downtown/tremont/Ohio City on some of your other future trips!

Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
412 reviews
10. Re: Restaurant near University Circle?

I second the last reply, it worth it to travel a tiny bit more and add the restaurants of Ohio City (just over the Cuyahoga River) Tremont and downtown. There is valet parking for East 4th Street venues and on street for the rest. Try Mabels! on East 4th for Barb B-Que...great ribs

Get answers to your questions about Cleveland