We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving very late, unsafe areas

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Arriving very late, unsafe areas

I am going to Cleveland with my senior to check out Case Western.

We arrive very late but the red line will still be running. Is it safe to use even late at night?

I was not even giving it a thought and got warned about the area around 55th, now I see that the red line has a stop at 55th. 2 females, should we rather "uber" to Little Italy? Is Little Italy safe to arrive in and walk to our hotel, just 3 min.

I have a pretty good idea about Little Italy and University Circle (suggestions still welcome) but would also like to go to the water front and the actual city of Cleveland any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

Although it is likely rather safe and RTA has its own police force, I would not recommend two young females unfamiliar with the city taking the Red Line late at night laden down with bags and probably tired from traveling. For your own comfort and safety, I would just take Uber or Lyft directly to your hotel-no need to take it to Little Italy first and then walk to the hotel. Where are you staying-the Courtyard? During the day, the neighborhood around there is perfectly safe and should be filled with students and workers at the university, hospitals and cultural institutions of University Circle. As always in a large urban area, pay attention to your surroundings, follow your instincts, and you'll be just fine. To get back to downtown take the Red Line rapid or Health Line (24/7 bus rapid transit line down Euclid Ave.) to Tower City Center, the main stop downtown. You can explore the area around Public Square (including the pedestrian E 4th Street) and walk to the area near the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, right on Lake Erie. You might also wish to use the Waterfront train line (connect at Tower City) to explore the Flats East Bank entertainment district, including a beautiful boardwalk along the Cuyahoga River) or to get to/from the lakefront (incl. the Rock Hall area-North Coast Harbor Station). If you are going to explore using RTA, buy an all-day pass for only $5.50.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

Thank you, I was hoping for an answer from you.

We are staying in an air bnb on Mayfield and Murray.

Thanks for all the tips.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
for Cleveland, Put in Bay
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

Yeah, definitely uber.

As to downtown, so many choices! I recommend Coastal Taco, which is literally right on the waterfront in North Coast Harbor, where the rock hall is on E. 9th street. I always recommend a visit to the rock hall for people who are interested in rock music and its history, it's really an impressive museum.

The Uptown district in University Circle is generally safe at night but I wouldn't wander around by the museums and stuff alone after dark. That being said, Case takes campus security seriously.

Let us know what other suggestions we can make. I hope you enjoy the stay. My whole family worked at Case at one point or another, it's a great school.

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Detroit, London
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

We took the red line to/from University Circle from downtown. Going there was fine as it was filled with students. Coming back was kind of sketchy and would not recommend it. Definitely take Uber!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

The decision has been made and the move is coming up.

Which areas should be avoided at all times even driving through?

Of course some exploring will take place and of course now I am freaking out a bit. Could some of the Cleveland locals please chime in and give me some advice to pass on.

Thank you all in advance!

Cleveland, OH
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

I'm not sure I'd avoid any area totally during the day. But be sure to ask other students and use your wits and you should be fine. Alos, use your Google Maps app to find places. Cleveland is very easy to get around in. If you have more specific questions about the area once you arrive, please ask.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

Don't fret! First of all, there's nowhere in cleveland I wouldn't drive during the day. All the previously named areas are fine during the day, there is plenty of weekday traffic and they're totally fine.

Secondly, if your kid is moving here, I highly recommend you visit the forums on Urban Ohio as you can get very, very specific recommendations down to cross streets, buildings, really triangulated stuff by people who are urban planners, architects, historians, photographers, reporters, and more. Disclosure: I am one of the site's (many) moderators, but it's much better suited to really detailed "I'm moving here" type questions than the TA forum here, which is best-suited for people just coming in for a visit.

We have an entire topic dedicated to relocation to CLE, and many other specific "I'm moving here" questions, which are answered in the City Life forum: https:/…30.0.html

You might want to peruse there for some good background and information.

Generally speaking, the whole Case campus is very safe during the day, as is the surrounding area. As with any medium to large-sized city, at night one should use their wits a bit more and generally stay in more populated areas. In years past, there have been some robberies of people walking alone in University Circle at night, around the museums (which is more isolated and off the beaten path). The area immediately to the E of Case can be sketchy, like further E on Euclid past the campus, and some of the area around and between the Cleveland Clinic (E. 90s area) and Case isn't a place I'd walk alone at night. But again, fine for driving.

My entire family has worked at case and we never had any problems on or around campus. I would have no problem walking to Little Italy if I went to Case as it's really close. Much of Cleveland Heights, the nearby suburb, is very nice and young people like it a lot, as do oldies like me. Lots of old housing stock, families, etc. But it's good to pay attention to your surroundings as you can tell when you start to get into an area where things feel more sketchy - more bars on windows, houses really run down or vacant, etc. Places with fewer people living in them are neighborhoods that are struggling and as with anywhere, there can be more crime in those areas.

I hope you'll visit UO and join (free) to ask any specific Qs you might have. There are many, many people on there who can weigh in with really educated info. Not that my other fellow TAs on here aren't smart, but we are only 3 or 4 people, and on there you'll get like 20-30 regular posters who live and have lived all over town and keep an eye on things like urban development, crime and population statistics.

Case is an excellent school and we're always thrilled when someone chooses to live in Cleveland, for whatever reason and for however long. I hope your child has a great time here.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

Thank You I have joined tthe UO group and am waiting for my approval.

Cleveland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

I'll drop a note to one of the managing mods to look for you.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
10. Re: Arriving very late, unsafe areas

I just want to chime in as a mom of a freshman at CIM (on the Case campus). We're about to book a trip to Cleveland to visit our son. He assures me that he feels quite safe around University Circle, Cleveland Heights, Little Italy, Uptown, and Coventry. He and his friends have done a lot of exploring. They went Downtown and felt that there wasn't much there for them.

That being said, our flight gets in at 11 pm. My plan was to Uber to the Airbnb in Cleveland Heights.

If you can get a reservation at Glidden House (there's a special Case rate), take it! We stayed there for audition. It's basically on the campus and the breakfast is delicious.

Get answers to your questions about Cleveland