We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit St Jacob

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Visit St Jacob

Hello,

I would like to visit some Amish village. I'll be based in Toronto and I believe that St Jacob is the closest place to visit a village? Is that easy to visit or should I book a tour?

Cheers

Ariel

8 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
26,020 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Visit St Jacob

Totally easy. rent a car .. drive out there.

http://www.stjacobs.com/

https://goo.gl/maps/Puxj5hC29dB2

Note St. Jacob's residents are not Amish, they are Old Order Mennonites.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,679 posts
1 review
2. Re: Visit St Jacob

It's Mennonite country around St Jacob's not Amish. Their homes and farms are scattered around and you may see them with their buggies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Visit St Jacob

Is there any Amish country area too in Perth County?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
26,020 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Visit St Jacob

St. Jacob's is in Waterloo County. Old Order Mennonites are similar to the Amish.

There are Amish in Grey County, in Chatsworth. But there is no single "area" where you would see them.

Unlike in the US, the Amish, Mennonites, Hutterites, etc. are not considered tourist attractions in canada.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
5. Re: Visit St Jacob

Old Order are very similar in dress to the Amish. If all you're looking for is a bit of a look just take in the Waterloo farmers market. There will be lots of Old Order there. Sat is best Thurs is OK Then go up the road and stop in St Jacobs and walk around. They won't appreciate being treated as curiosities though so be careful taking pics. You may find one interested in talking to you especially at the farmers market where they're used to being around people. Its an interesting place to visit even aside from the Mennonite presence

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
168 reviews
6. Re: Visit St Jacob

I always enjoy visiting the St. Jacobs area and seeing the Mennonites travelling to the market in their horse & buggies. The market is fantastic, love the sausage you can get there and also the deep fried apple fritters. If you do have a conversation with any of them, try and see if you can detect a different accent. I certainly can, as I am originally from the UK where the accent changes, or used to change every few miles, and have a different ear from my fellow Canadians.

It's quite different from the US, where they are treated as a tourist attraction. They even play it up by having shops selling 'Dutch Goods' even though the Pennsylvania 'Dutch' were never Dutch at all! It's just a corruption of the word they called themselves, 'Deutsche', meaning 'German'. !

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
7. Re: Visit St Jacob

You don't say when you're going to be here but the last weekend in May is the Mennonite relief sale in New Hamburg. Just outside Kitchener. Lots of Mennonite stuff there. Big auction including hand made quilts lots of food etc All the proceeds go to their relief work around the world.

https://nhmrs.com/

Edited: 15 May 2016, 08:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Visit St Jacob

Thank you, I should be there mid June. I've been in Lancaster a few years ago. I know how it is over there.

Reply to: Visit St Jacob
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about St. Jacobs