We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

living in Yonkers and working in NYC

Sofia, Grad Sofiya...
7 posts
living in Yonkers and working in NYC

Hi All,

I know that this is not the forum where i can ask about this but if you could help me i will be appreciated. My wife and I thinking to move to USA and we found this city Yonkers, i was there couple of times and i think is good to live there and to work in NYC. My question is: is it cheaper to live in Yonker and to work in NYC, is it possible to rent an apartment for less than $1000 for two people in Yonkers and the apartment to be close to the train station.

If you know another forum where people discuss how is the life in Yonker please let me know.

Many thanks

4 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
18 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: living in Yonkers and working in NYC

Lots of people live in Yonkers and commute to NYC. I can't comment on rents though.

This post may be removed, so you should try the New York City-Data forum. That forum is specifically about relocation. There's one for Westchester: http://www.city-data.com/forum/westchester-county/ and you also may want to ask on the New York City city-data forum.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
46,395 posts
2. Re: living in Yonkers and working in NYC

You would be on the Metro North commuter trains - instead of the subway - be sure to consider the monthly cost of the higher priced commuter train tickets as well as the total transit time home to work.

(Depending on where you work, you may need to buy a Metrocard to ride the subway from Grand Central as well.)

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
9,135 posts
370 reviews
269 helpful votes
3. Re: living in Yonkers and working in NYC

You could do that. You take Metro North train int NYC. Also could live in White Plains. Even consider living in NYC.

Get a Real Estate Agent. They are helpful.

Learn all about the communities. Much to learn

hudson valley
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: living in Yonkers and working in NYC

You could also consider living in NJ, right across the Hudson from NYC, or out in Brooklyn or Queens (which should mean just one subway fare to get to work, and rent that's cheaper than in Manhattan).

I'm guessing you could find an apartment for $1000/month in Yonkers, but I don't know if you'd want to live in it. OTOH, $1000 will go farther than it would in most of the city.

Reply to: living in Yonkers and working in NYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yonkers
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.