We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

Level Contributor
25 posts
Transportation

What is the best mode of transportation from LaGuardia airport to Hampton Inn Yonkers-Westchester?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
46,395 posts
1. Re: Transportation

Public transit would take a bus + commuter train and then a cab or the hotel shuttle. http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-york/hampton-inn-and-suites-yonkers-westchester-LGAYWHX/maps-directions/index.html Ask the hotel their preferred train station for pick up / drop off.

I'd price car services such as Dial 7 or Carmel (could be more economical for a small group.)

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,890 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Transportation

We assume you are staying there to visit relatives or a school or something, and not for touring NYC. It could be a lengthy trip to get into NYC every day. Is that true?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
24,842 posts
3. Re: Transportation

Agree this is not the place to stay to visit NYC. And if you are visiting people or things in Westchester you will find it much more convenient to have a car and may as well rent one when you arrive in LGA.

Level Contributor
25 posts
4. Re: Transportation

Well we were going to drive to Maine and stay in Yonkers and then take Metro North into the city for 2 days of sightseeing. But my Maine trip fell through and I already paid for my hotel in Yonkers with a no cancellation policy to get this special rate. So we decided to just fly to New York. So that is why I am looking for the best mode of transportation from the airport to the hotel. Once we get to the hotel and when we want to get into NYC we will take Metro North

Level Contributor
25 posts
5. Re: Transportation

If you rent a car then where do you park when you get to NYC? Wouldn’t it be easier to take Metro North?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
16,268 posts
30 reviews
40 helpful votes
6. Re: Transportation

I'm pretty sure the hotel will have a shuttle to Metro North, but I don't know what their pickup policy would be for your return each day. The hotel's website indicates that they have a "free area shuttle." It would just be a few minutes' ride.

Greystone is the nearest Metro North station. I think it's a little too far to walk and it's a steep hill on the way back. There are also Bee Line buses from the office park where the hotel is located to the NYC subway but for a short vacation I think that would be wasting too much time.

BTW, though, those buses are included on NYC Metrocards, both pay per ride and unlimited. Metro North is not and be sure to buy tickets before boarding the train. There's a Metro North app you can put on a smartphone and pay via the app but, again, for a short trip you may not want to bother.

Metro North trains go to Grand Central, which is absolutely gorgeous. The first few minutes of your inbound trip from Greystone go right along the Hudson - sit on the right hand side inbound and the left side for your return.

Edited: 6 years ago
Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
18 reviews
11 helpful votes
7. Re: Transportation

Yes, you can take Metro North from Yonkers into the city. The car rental suggestion specifically stated "if you are visiting people or things in Westchester". You did not mention that you are planning on spending all your time in NYC.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
16,268 posts
30 reviews
40 helpful votes
8. Re: Transportation

Sorry, too late to edit. From LaGuardia to your hotel, if you want to go by public transportation I'd take an M60 bus from LaGuardia to the 125th Street Metro North station and then Metro North to Greystone. I'd confirm with the hotel how they handle pickups from the Metro North station.

Dallas, Texas...
Level Contributor
27,567 posts
18 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Transportation

As for the "best" way to get to your Yonkers hotel from LGA, it depends on how you define "best". Easiest would be to book a car service such as Dial 7. Second easiest would probably be to take a taxi to Grand Central Terminal, then take the train to Yonkers, assuming your hotel shuttle will pick you up.. Hardest but cheapest would be to take a bus from LGA to Metro North 125th St Station, then take the train.

125th St Station is actually easier to get to than Grand Central Terminal from LGA, but the benefit of Grand Central is that it is beautiful and it is the START of the train. Those trains get full. If you get on at 125th St you may find few seats and it may be too full to easily hoist luggage to any of the overhead racks. If that happens, there are areas by the door where it's easy to stand with your luggage leaning against a partition.

10. Re: Transportation

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Yonkers
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.