We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chateau Montstruce - public transport?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
33 reviews
20 helpful votes
Chateau Montstruce - public transport?
Save

My friend and I have been invited to stay at Chateau Montstruce (which I understand is in Targon) for a week in late August.

We’ll be flying in from Australia and spending one night in Bordeaux before heading to the Chateau. We will be flying out of Bordeaux after our stay.

We’re trying to understand logistics such as whether or not there will be access to public transport from the chateau, as we don’t want to hire a car unless it’s absolutely necessary (as we’re accustomed to driving on the opposite side of the road).

If there is public transport To a nearby town, are there any local tours? I’ve found tours from Bordeaux, but not from St Emilion for example. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong places.

Thank you

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
1. Re: Chateau Montstruce - public transport?
Save

Wow, lucky you ! It looks lovely. The description does say countryside, so I suspect public transport will be limited. I could be wrong, but rural France is often not well served by public transport. I know it is daunting hiring a car and driving on the opposite side of the road, but I would think about it. Having a car will allow you to get out and see some of the surrounding towns and villages. As lovely as the chateau looks, I do not think I would want to be stuck there all day every day. Perhaps the others who will be staying there will have cars or may know more about the transport situation.

Bon voyage.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
18,192 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Chateau Montstruce - public transport?
Save

You are really in the middle of nowhere there and without a car for a whole week you'll pretty much be stuck because there is no public transport there. You could take a train from Bordeaux to a town not far off called Podensac and then cab/Uber from there but once you are at the château you'll have no means of getting anywhere without a car. So it will really be essential that you have a car. Use autoeurope.com for car rental info.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
111,206 posts
17 reviews
18 helpful votes
3. Re: Chateau Montstruce - public transport?
Save

In Australia, use www.autoeurope.com.au or www.driveaway.com.au

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
70,784 posts
59 reviews
65 helpful votes
4. Re: Chateau Montstruce - public transport?
Save

Targon village has a commuter bus service to and from Bordeaux on weekdays, two buses each way on Saturdays and one bus each way Sundays and Holidays. https://www.transgironde.fr/ftp/lines/siv-403-hiver.pdf

The Chateau is a little way out of the village.

That's the only bus. The only way to get to anywhere else is via Bordeaux. Even St Emilion has only two buses a day, especially for tourists, to and from Bordeaux but there are trains about once every hour on weekdays, every 2 hours or so at weekends.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
70,784 posts
59 reviews
65 helpful votes
5. Re: Chateau Montstruce - public transport?
Save

PS St Émilion is about 25km north of Targon by road.

6. Re: Chateau Montstruce - public transport?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2019, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Emilion
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.