We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three 1/2 Hours Afternoon in Downtown Schenectady NY no Car

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
104 reviews
79 helpful votes
Three 1/2 Hours Afternoon in Downtown Schenectady NY no Car

Hello,

The question is really: what would you do in this situation? This will be probably be a rare opportunity in my life where there will be impetus to explore Schenectady, a city I've yet to explore in my over 40 years on this earth.

I'll be there from about 3:30 pm, catching a train to Chicago around 7:30 pm (in June). I won't want to stray too far from the train station. I'm not expecting to have a life-altering event, just trying to find a pleasant way to while away a few hours and maybe get an itty-bitty sense of Schenectady. A few things I notice: the Mohawk River is not far; is there a vantage point to see the river that possibly has a bench from which one may admire the river (I see a place called Riverside Park)? Union College seems not too far a walk; might it be worth a stroll over? I notice there are some cafes... maybe you have a favorite one to sit in if it's a rainy day (Moon & River Cafe, Ambition Coffee & Eatery are some names I've seen)? Really, a pleasant park, a lovely historic home, you name it I'm open to it.

Thank you in advance for all suggestions. Best wishes, Daniel

PS I tried this message on Fodor's forums... it didn't seem people had been to downtown Schenectady, so I thought I would try here.

3 replies to this topic
Schenectady, New...
5 posts
1. Re: Three 1/2 Hours Afternoon in Downtown Schenectady NY no Car

Your best bet is to head to Jay Street which is only a couple of blocks from the train station. Ambition Café and other neat little shops are on Jay Street. Depending on the date and weather, you may see some outside musicians and most places will have outdoor seating to eat. As far as the Mohawk River, there's not much to see. There is a drive in burger place called Jumpin Jacks which people rave about and sometimes in the summer they have water ski shows, but that's about it. Union College is not too far, but again, not much happening there either.

If you like a cold beer, then head down Erie Blvd (same street as the train station) and hit up Wolff's Biergarten. It's a great place.

Hope this helps!

Schenectady, New...
5 posts
2. Re: Three 1/2 Hours Afternoon in Downtown Schenectady NY no Car

oops, I totally didn't see this was from last year!!! lol I hope you enjoyed your time in Schenectady!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
162 posts
104 reviews
79 helpful votes
3. Re: Three 1/2 Hours Afternoon in Downtown Schenectady NY no Car

Thank you inglebingle! Hopefully others read your thoughtful post. I was just looking up Schenectady again to see what posts there were on it and mine from two years ago is still one of the few. Pity more people don't check out Schenectady. Just wanted to say, I enjoyed the pedestrian only part of Jay Street and walking around the Stockade District, a truly beautiful neighbourhood with some lovely old homes. The view of the Mohawk River was I thought pleasant.

Reply to: Three 1/2 Hours Afternoon in Downtown Schenectady NY no Car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Schenectady
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.