We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
3 helpful votes
College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

Hi all,

We will be traveling from Maryland this summer to do some college visits and plan to visit both Union and Skidmore. Trying to decide whether to stay over one night in Saratoga Springs or Schenectady.

We would like to get a feel for both towns, but would probably like to stay in the one that's a bit more eclectic and artsy. My son would like to investigate options for restaurants, nightlife, bookstores (bonus for manga shops), coffee shops, etc. What's the vibe of each town?

If we stay in Saratoga Springs we will have to backtrack in the morning to tour Union, then tour Skidmore in the afternoon before heading north to see more schools. Not a deal breaker, we just want to stay over and explore the city that's more interesting to a prospective college student.

Thanks for your help :)

8 replies to this topic
Albany, NY
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
11 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

Definitely Saratoga.

Schenectady is an old industrial city. It has some good restaurants and shops and has come a long way in the last 10 years with revival activities, but has a gritty urban feel. Saratoga Springs is a tourist destination, lots of restaurants and shops. Somewhat artsy, but mostly "upscale". It is the host of the Saratoga Race Track, so is very busy in the summer. I think both cities have comic book shops but I don't know that either have a specific manga shop. Both have great independent bookstores. I think Saratoga Springs would be more interesting for a college student. It is a location that is walkable in the evening if you stay downtown, which is nice. It will also be expensive if you visit anytime during track season (mid-July until Labor Day).

Owego, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
23,888 posts
240 reviews
107 helpful votes
2. Re: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

No contest - Saratoga. Saratoga is arguably the nicest small city in NYS.

Post #1 explained it very well.

Latham, NY
Level Contributor
57 posts
69 reviews
81 helpful votes
3. Re: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

No contest-absolutely Saratoga. Union College is a wonderful campus. The city of Schenectady-not so much!

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
15 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

Definitely Saratoga and you may want to book as soon as you can! Hotels fill very quickly.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

Thank you all for the insight. Sounds like we will get a hotel booked in Saratoga ASAP.

1 post
6. Re: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

Hi there, what hotel did you end up staying at? Would you recommend? I am planning to also visit the colleges with my daughter. Thank you

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
77 posts
21 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

We ended up staying at the Embassy Suites by Hilton in Saratoga Springs and would definitely recommend it. It was very nice and an easy walk to Broadway, where we had a yummy dinner at Cantina Saratoga. Enjoy your college visits :)

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
28 reviews
22 helpful votes
8. Re: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?

Which school did he choose and does he like it?

Edited: 1 year ago
Reply to: College Visits in Saratoga and Schenectady--where to stay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Schenectady
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.