We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Boston to DC

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
Road Trip Boston to DC

Hello,

I'm planning our annual winter vacation road trip to visit family. We decided to leave the night before and split the drive. So to make a hotel reservation, I have to commit to my route. Usually we go over the Tappan Zee to Garden State Parkway to NJ Turnpike. However, we're thinking that since it's school vacation, traffic could be light and we could take the easier route, (recommended by Google Maps) which is over GW bridge onto the NJ Turnpike.

Any thoughts from locals?

5 replies to this topic
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,278 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Road Trip Boston to DC

Thousands of people are going to be doing what you're doing. And people are still working. Traffic will be just as heavy as normal.

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,278 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Road Trip Boston to DC

I worked the NJ Turnpike at one point, and I remember someone saying on a Sunday: Why is traffic so heavy today? I asked: Are you on vacation? He replied yes. I say...So is everyone else!

People taking trips aren't unique. And to make it worse, they tend to not be as sure as to what they're doing, and drive and do things slower. Vacationing traffic was usually more backed up than commuting traffic due to this!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: Road Trip Boston to DC

Okay, I know all this--we drive this route at least once a year, and always during the Christmas week. I'm really asking about anything that locals would know that I don't--such as lanes being closed on the GW bridge, or the Garden State Parkway undergoing repairs, or the new Tappan Zee is slower than the old, or things like that. Anything to help me make my choice about whether I'm going over the Tappan Zee or the GW at 9pm on a Wednesday night.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Road Trip Boston to DC

I stay away from the GWB as much as possible. My route would use the Tappanzee- even with construction. GWB is awful as is the cross bronx exp. head to 87 - you have options, 90 to 684, or the sawmill river pkwy.

This might add time - but not if NYC is at a standstill. Anything to avoid that GWB!!!!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
267 posts
57 reviews
5. Re: Road Trip Boston to DC

Your answer confirms what why we've made that choice all these years. And I just made a hotel reservation along the GSP in order to use my Marriott points.

Reply to: Road Trip Boston to DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted