We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

Hi

We are a family of 5, 2ad&3ch aged 17,13&8. Travelling late July 2019 for 16nts from UK, flights booked flying into Las Vegas and out of San Fran. Interested more in natural scenery than cities. Possible itinerary as follows: 1night Las Vegas, 2nights Springdale for Zion NP, 1 night Lake Powell, 2nights Monument Valley, 2 nights Grand Canyon Village south rim, 1 night near Hoover Dam, 1 night near Death Valley- next day drive through Death Valley seeing Badwater and Artists Drive en route to Mammoth Lakes, 2 nights Mammoth Lakes, 2 nights Yosemite, 2 nights San Fran. According to google maps our drives are 2-4 hours.My husband has been to California many years ago and driven LA/LV/Lake Tahoe/San Fran, the rest of us have never been. Many thanks for your expert input/local knowledge with regards to the above itinerary.

Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,739 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
636 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam...
13 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
23,039 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

You might want to post on the Road Trips Forum

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

Just know that Google driving times are not including any stops. Average driving time including stops could be up to 1 1/2 x longer. Sounds like a fun trip - try to hike Angels Landing in Zion - it's amazing!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
440 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

You have a pretty good itinerary. There is no need to spend a night near Hoover Dam, just head into to Vegas for the night. I think you could get away with 1 night at Monument Valley. I would move that night to Sedona. You can visit there after the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. You could possibly head up to Bryce Canyon for a quick visit as you leave Zion enroute to Lake Powell. Or, visit Antelope Canyon enroute to Page.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I am thinking of dropping Hoover Dam. I am now on the road trips forum (which I was previously unaware existed!)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
116 reviews
5. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

Can I ask, where do you stay for Monument Valley? Considering a road trip next year too, and will need to plan fairly early I think to get the right places. I had looked up at short notice and Springdale was expensive this year, plus we decided a longer trip might be better so leaving till next year.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
116 reviews
6. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

Oh, I should maybe have added, we found a few points of interest around the Sedona area. We stayed in Flagstaff which was nice to see, plus we also stopped by Oatman (old quaint mining town where burros wander the streets) and Lake Havasu City (for London Bridge). Might be worth looking at, although it may or may not be of interest. Also, south of Sedona (can't remember how far) Montezuma Castle might be of interest. These are more points to visit rather than places to stay.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
440 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

Lesley, there are really only 2 places to consider when you stay at Monument Valley; The View and Goulding's Lodge. The later is older and has more of a history to it. They both offer spectacular views.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

I think you have a an excellent plan - I have done you east trip out of LV for a week and the west trip LV to SG both about a week so you are ok for time

just some quick points

I would echo the point about Hoover dam - you are literally 1 hr from LV so keep going to have literally 700 hotel options rather than 2

I know you wilderness and not city but consider 2 night in LV jat start ust to give you a bit of time to recover - if you are like me you could start early on the 2nd day as I am usually wide awake at 4 or 4:30 and you will have the light pretty quickly (make sure the hire car is in place!)

just watch the 4pm period as I definitely got a bit sleepy so share the driving or ensure you check out the local coffee establishments

finally I found monument valley amazing but not a lot do there apart from literally drive thru and take photos. I did feel it was a long way to go on quite boring roads to get to! - thus if it was me I would try and skew more time to the LV to SF portion as a lot more wilderness for the mileage as well as walks and activities

Cheers - you will have an awesome time!

Wynyard,Sk
Level Contributor
77 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

Hoover Dam is great to see.Take a tour

Elgin, United...
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?

https://vimeo.com/49309781

Spend twenty minutes watching this entertaining and informative video , it may help

Reply to: Could Someone Critique My Road Trip Itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted