We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

white water rafting

Galena, Ohio
Level Contributor
567 posts
34 reviews
72 helpful votes
white water rafting

Daughter's boyfriend has requested that we do a whitewater rafting trip as a part of our vacation in YNP/GTNP in mid July. However, none of us has ever done white water rafting before. I had put this in my schedule as a scenic float/whitewater trip with Barker Ewing of Snake River (and we will do scenic float no matter what other advice on rafting we get here). However, DD and I just spent a good hour watching people raft lunch counter and big kahuna which is where the Barker Ewing ad says they go....and we don't think we are ready for that experience---unless the river is a lot calmer in July. Our other option is to take the Gallatin River trip with Montana Whitewater who we are already going fly fishing and zip lining (kids only not dad and I). We watched those videos too and while they seem to go faster, no one flipped over in those videos. Can someone give us some good advice on what each of these rivers are typically like in mid July...or let us know if the companies kind of tailor the trips to the skills of the riders. I saw a lot of little kids on both rivers, but I am pretty sure I am not as brave as most nine year olds:) Which area would you suggest for someone who has never rafted before?

2 replies to this topic
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: white water rafting

We did the whitewater rafting on the Gallatin around the 4th of July. This was in 2011 which was a year of extremely high water, due to lots of snow and spring flooding I believe. The "mad mile" portion of the river was closed as it was too dangerous. That being said, we had our two daughters, 7 & 9, at the time and we all had a blast! It was one of the most fun things I have ever done, our daughters still talk about it. This year is a much lower snow year, so I would think the water levels would be lower. My older daughter did the same trip two years ago in mid-july and said it was fun, but a lot less intense than the year we did it.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
144 posts
50 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: white water rafting

We did a trip last week with Geyser Whitewater just south of Big Sky on 191 and closer to Yellowstone than Montana. Did the middle level trip and it was great. Can recommend.

Reply to: white water rafting
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gallatin Gateway
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.