We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

Charlotte, North...
2 posts
Save Topic
Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

We are family of 4 with 2 boys 16 and 12 visiting Boston mid-July. We would like to visit Provincetown for a day trip. I checked the fast ferry and the fare would add up to about $330.....is there another way to get there. Car rental would be cheaper but I heard there is lot of traffic so day trip may not be a good idea???

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Also suggestions for alternate places are welcome too....we want to visit beach/quaint cape style town..walk around etc...

Another option was Martha’s Vineyard....is there a better/cheaper way to get there?

Thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
8 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,905 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

Driving is probably the best way in terms of cost, assuming you can rent a car as cheaply as you think. Go on a weekday and leave Boston before 7am or after 9:30am and for the return trip leave Ptown after 5pm so by the time you get close to Boston, rush hour is about over. Saturday mornings going to the Cape and Sunday nights returning tend to be very trafficky. .

There is the Plymouth and Brockton bus but the schedule really does not work without an overnight.

For the Vineyard you can take P&B or Peter Pan bus to Hyannis and then the Ferry to MV.

Edited: 03 June 2018, 14:35
Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

Yes drive to the Upper Cape and see if you can fit in time both in Falmouth and Sandwich. If more time stop at the CC Canal Visitors Center for a quick but interesting visit as you leave the Cape. Come back when you can spend a week or so and enjoy some more of the Cape.

Mentioned in this post
Falmouth
Falmouth
Cape Cod, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
20,697 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

Cheapest rarely equals best. Driving would be cheaper, so would the bus, but traffic can make that the opposite of "best".

There are usually Groupons for the ferry. I saw one in the past 2-3 days, so that might help make the Ferry (my opinion of best, unless you fly) a cheaper option

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

If you decide to drive then just go mid-week to avoid vacation traffic. Also you'll probably get your rental car in the 'neighborhoods' vs at Logan so that will save you $$$ also.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

You would probably only have a traffic problem if you try to get onto the Cape from Friday afternoon thru Saturday. Saturdays can also be difficult leaving.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

In my opinion Provincetown is really far for a day trip from Boston if you're driving. You could go anywhere on the cape if you're just looking for the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

Go to Hampton beach NH for the day. Good beach, arcades, cold water though.

Boston...
Level Contributor
20,697 posts
652 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown

We did a day trip yesterday and it was wonderful. I'll write it up a bit later.

Reply to: Cheapest and best way to get to Provincetown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown