We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Status of Herring Cove Beach

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
17 reviews
Status of Herring Cove Beach

Any progress on the beach and parking from last year? It was still pretty bad end of last summer from the winter before ... not sure if the beach suffered further erosion this year. Thanks

Special Offer
Go Boston Card
138 Reviews
from US$57.00*
US$60.00
Cape Cod Fast Ferry
52 Reviews
from US$61.00*
Jeremy Point Jaunt from Wellfleet...
4 Reviews
from US$45.00*
14 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,470 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

It got worse with this year's storm. I believe there are only 8-10 spaces left on the right (as you pass the place where you pay). Left side is still ok. I was there a few weeks ago and read they got the most bet to fix it. I will try to find that info later.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
2. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

Cape Cod Times has an article today. The right side parking lot will be relocated and rebuilt at some future time. Marconi Beach is closed until the 4th of July.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,470 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

Thanks Ting.

Here is an article from "Wicked Local Orleans".

http://orleans.wickedlocal.com/news/20180518/

It seems to say the same thing but I could not find a link for the CCTumes article

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
4. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

The article popped up on my FB feed. I can't seem to find it either now. Maybe a subscriber can find it.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
5. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

Found it: capecodtimes.com/news/20180525/cape-beaches-…

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
250 reviews
6. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

I was just at Herring Cove. The north parking lot (overlooking the bay) has about 20 spaces and then it is blocked. You can drive around far end of the lot to get to some more parking. The main lot past Farland Provisions is fine. The National Seashore has had plans to move the north lot back onto the dunes for several years but lack of money has held up the work. I believe that the original plan was to have the lot moved by this year but that isn't happening.

Race Point is in much better shape. Could not get to Marconi at all. The access road is blocked. You can drive tot he Marconi Station Site and the Overlook. Nauset Light Beach now has a path down a gentle route to the beach. No stairs anymore.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
250 reviews
7. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

Just got confirmation on Marconi. The National Seashore is rebuilding the stairs again. I do not know what happened to the idea to build removable stairs that could be taken down at the end of the season. Seems like it would save a lot of work and money.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

Update? We will be on the Cape the first week of August, prefer Herring Cove but will consider Racepoint, Marconi or better options. Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
591 posts
117 reviews
9. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

A lot of the sand and berms have been washed away, but the beach remains. As of a week ago, there were stairs, and a new plastic covered mat along the path to the beach (to prevent erosion?)

Boston...
Level Contributor
8,156 posts
10. Re: Status of Herring Cove Beach

The mats are to make the beaches accessible.

Reply to: Status of Herring Cove Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown