We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
124 posts
57 reviews
162 helpful votes
Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

Wondering where is the safest area to swim or maybe just go for a dive in the Provincetown area beaches?

Read about the white shark presence and wondering what would be the safest beach (if there is any) for my children and i to go in the water in July...i noticed that most beaches, at low tide, become very shallow so i would figure it would be pretty safe to go in since a shark would get stuck on the beachbank.Also figure the golden rule of staying away from seals.

I'm an open water swimmer in my home town (in Portugal-Eutope) where there are NO sharks, so don't know anything about them, therefore don't know if i will risk swimming much in this area.

Any advice on what i should be looking out for? Other "golden rules" ?

Also, what can i expect regarding the sea water temperature in July?

47 replies to this topic
Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
11 helpful votes
41. Re: Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

We've gone to Chatham for years. In the last 10 years, the Cape has gone from very rare GW sightings to one of the GW hotspots of the world. The sharks are attacking seals within 30 feet of the shore and in shallow water. We went to Nauset Beach and the sharks were sighted by plane and the people were cleared from the water. I felt uncomfortable in the water in anything above my thighs. A week after we left, a seal was killed exactly where we were within the surf break. It came as no surprise to me that a young man was killed this last weekend. Anybody who says people are "fear mongering" about the shark situation on the Cape is being delusional.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 10:37
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,123 posts
34 reviews
31 helpful votes
42. Re: Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

Will you continue to visit the Cape bbv1? Coming back summer 2019?

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
11 helpful votes
43. Re: Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

Yes. My family has a house there. Even if I was a renter I would return. The Cape offers much more than swimming; although, body surfing at Nauset is my favorite. I expect they will employ the use of more spotter planes and possibly start using drones to detect the sharks. As long as the conditions are clear I feel pretty confident about the ability to spot the sharks. If the seas are cloudy, I'm not touching the water. That being said, I do not trust the sharktivity app.. Too many new sharks that haven't been tagged.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
44. Re: Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

"the raft was continually battered by sharks trying to attack the guys inside. They were in a larger raft so they did not look like seals. Any ideas?"

Yeah. I think a lot of people confuse "based on real events" with true. If you get the Sci Fi channel maybe Sharknado will be on soon.

"it’s clearly become more dangerous in recent years .."

That's exactly what I mean about people being bad at risk assessment. A bit over a year ago a woman in Massachusetts won the biggest lottery jackpot ever won by a single ticket. One record lottery jackpot. One person killed by a shark. Do you think that people winning huge lottery jackpots in Massachusetts is clearly more likely than it used to be? The odds of winning powerball or megamilions is pretty close to 1 in 300 million. The odds of being killed by a shark this year is pretty close to 1 in 300 million. Neither means that it's more (or less) likely to happen in the future.

Meanwhile, about 6 million people will visit Cape Cod this year according to state tourism officials. That means we can expect that about 600 tourists who don't get killed by a shark during their annual trip to the cape will die in a traffic accident in the following 12 months. But by all means stay out of the water so that faulty risk assessment doesn't get you killed.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,123 posts
34 reviews
31 helpful votes
45. Re: Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

Steve the movie that Angelina Jolie produced may have fudged the facts but she left out the last true chapters of Louis Z's life.....when he met Billy Graham.

It's a great read, complete with attacking sharks in the Pacific.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
133 reviews
209 helpful votes
46. Re: Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

the Boston Globe reports on the shark issue

https:/…story.html

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
16,123 posts
34 reviews
31 helpful votes
47. Re: Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)

I just saw that, after two non-fatal shark attacks in Australia at the Great Barrier Reef authorities are asking folks to stay out of the water. This is not a beach but notably the best reef in the world for snorkel and dive holidays.They mentioned tiger and bull sharks and one other type.

Reply to: Sharks in Provincetown area (swimming advice)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Provincetown
Recent Conversations