We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

Chicago
Level Contributor
55 posts
13 reviews
Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

We are interested in an airplane exhibit at the

Valparaiso In airport.

We are not driving, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

Dune Park station off the Southshore line and taxi from there I believe is the only option. Hopefully I am wrong and will be corrected. They have no Amtrak nor Greyhound station there. Best of luck to ya. Perhaps google and hope for flat rate taxis in the area. If i do find out more i will let you know.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
2. Re: Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

@OP: I assume you mean the "Wings of Freedom Tour" event at the airport the first weekend of August. Is that correct?

Public transportation in Valparaiso and most of all of Indiana isn't like within Chicago proper. (Fort Wayne and Indianapolis may be the exceptions, and even then it isn't as prevalent.) It is very limited as practically all usually drive their own cars.

Francis has given you a little information about the South Shore and South Bend Railroad. You can see their information here: www.nictd.com

Valparaiso does have a very limited bus service called the V-line, and there is also a bus service for commuters called ChicaGO DASH. You can find the information here: www.ci.valparaiso.in.us/490/V-Line

As you can see, the orange V-line travels several times daily between the Dune Park station and the VU (Valparaiso University) Student Union. But it doesn't go out to the Porter County Municipal Airport. You certainly do not want to attempt walking out from the VU Student Union to the the airport along U.S. #30, as it would be very dangerous with the traffic.

You also will see that they have a section under the FAQ page for "Deviation". 3/4 of a mile isn't much - and it doesn't cover the distance between the VU Student Union and the Airport, which is about 2 miles. However, you might give them a call to see if something might be in the works for having a shuttle go out there from some point in Valpo. If they aren't, perhaps the person there might be able to suggest an alternative for you.

You will also see that they have the ChicaGO DASH service which is scheduled for daily commuters. You can tell from the hours of service.

Valparaiso (and the whole NW Indiana area) has very limited taxi service. You can do a quick search and see how few choices there are. No guarantees that you will be able to get ahold of one right away at the moment you need to be picked up. Perhaps you can reserve one in advance for specified pick up and return times. But I would check to make certain that you would have dedicated time. In other words, they won't be picking up other fares along the way while you are using their service.

All this being said, this takes considerable time and effort to do via public transportation. Plus the cost. It may be less expensive and more time expedient for you to get a rental car.

Edited: 19 July 2016, 08:03
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

Great post Chitownfriend. May certainly be helpful to other future travelers as well.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
4. Re: Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

Just as long as people remember the rules of the forum. It is to assist them in their research for travel plans. Not replace it. We just point them in the right direction to do their own research.

The OP can now continue with the actual work of ironing out the details.

Edited: 20 July 2016, 03:10
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
5. Re: Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

Just a note: I didn't want that last statement to seem harsh. And I wasn't making it with respect to the OP. Just a general comment.

You'd be surprised at what some of these folks expect!

1 post
6. Re: Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

I would like to go to chicago airport midway from valapariso, in.

I am a tourist and I have no car . My plane is in the morning.

What's the most easy and simple way to go there please.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
7. Re: Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car

If you are a tourist without a car, how did you get to Valparaiso in the first place? Were you visiting friends or family who did have a car at their disposal?

Reply to: Chicago to Valparaiso In airport without a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Valparaiso