We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest to Porter County Fair for concert

Ohio
Level Contributor
337 posts
23 reviews
Closest to Porter County Fair for concert

Any feelings on the Hampton Inn on Silhavy vs the Fairfield Inn on Morthland. I see they both have indoor pools. Anything else about them? Good Neighborhood? Can we walk to bars or restaurants? Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Closest to Porter County Fair for concert

Can't give you any specific/first-hand information, but thought I respond since it's a low traffic forum and I wanted you to have something.

As for just comparing the two hotels, I'd look a the TA reviews. The Hampton has over 100 reviews and the Fairfield 50+ (I'll note the Hampton is ranked #1 and the Fairfield #4, but I put less emphasis on rankings and more on the reviews & ratings distributions by reviewers (the "dots"). Reading the reviews might also give some insight into the neighborhood(s), what's nearby, etc.

If you don't get enough info regarding the nearby area(s) from the reviews (or simply don't want to wade through a bunch of them), I suggest you use Google maps. Between satellite view and street view you should be able to get a fairly good idea of what's near the hotels. I'll add that I'd only use this in a general and not specific sense. The Google images can be "stale" (weeks, months or years old) and it might be that things have changed since the satellite took the picture/the street view vehicle drove by. For example, if you see a specific business, I don't think it is certain to still be there; similarly there might be new businesses since the images were taken.

Thus, for a *specific* thing you see on Google, I wouldn't count on it being there, but in the general sense of what the neighborhood is like for things like: commercial, industrial versus residential; walkable or not; nice or not so nice; highway versus "regular" street, etc. I think you can use the Google images as things usually don't change that dramatically.

Sorry I can't give any specific insights, but hope this helps,

hlo

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Closest to Porter County Fair for concert

While I have not stayed at either of the two hotels you mentioned ( since I live only 20 minutes from there), I can tell you that they are very close to each other so one is not any closer than the other to the fairgrounds. You'll only be a couple of minutes from the fairgrounds. The area is safe with a few restaurants in walking distance (Bob Evans, Wendy's and KFC) but I don't believe there are any bars close by. There is a Kelsey's Steak House , Steak and Shake and a Taco Bell across the street although I wouldn't recommend walking across very busy U.S. 30 , especially at night but there is a stop light there. There is a large cluster of stores and restaurants to the north of those hotels if you keep going on Silhavy but that road is curvy and there aren't any sidewalks so it would be best to drive there. There you can find a Chili's, TGIFridays, Pizza Hut , Noodles, and several others. There is a restaurant with a bar down the street on U.S 30 (Morthland Dr) called Industrial Revolution Eatery and Grill....it's not far from the hotels but not really walking distance.

If you have any other questions about the area, I'll be happy to try to help if I can.

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Closest to Porter County Fair for concert

I tried to edit my post but it was too late. I would like to add that the Bob Evans, KFC and Wendys are next to the Fairfield Inn and the Hampton Inn is just a little farther down the road. There are no sidewalks along Silhavy from the Hampton Inn back to those places. The only restaurant next to the Hampton Inn is the Strongbow Inn. I checked and they do have a bar although I have read that food and service has gone downhill after recently changing ownership..

Reply to: Closest to Porter County Fair for concert
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Valparaiso