We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a nice hotel directly on Lake Michigan near Valpo

Washington DC
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Need a nice hotel directly on Lake Michigan near Valpo

I will be coming to my college reunion in October. I would like to stay no more than 30 miles from Valpo. Are there any nice hotels situated directly on Lake Michigan?

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
472 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Need a nice hotel directly on Lake Michigan near Valpo

It's a little bit further... about 45 minutes or so, but your best bet may be the Harbor Grand in New Buffalo! www.harborgrand.com

Another option, that is much closer, and on a little lake, but not lake Michigan is the Gray Goose Inn, in Chesterton. http://www.graygooseinn.com

I'd love to say you need to stay at a fabulous hotel, right on the water... but the thing is, while there are vacation homes in that area... there isn't anything perfect!

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
2. Re: Need a nice hotel directly on Lake Michigan near Valpo

Deb, the lakeshore north of Valpairaiso (and Chesterton, to Valpo's north) is protected for miles in either direction. The Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and the Indiana Dunes State Park are located there.

It's a good thing, too, otherwise the heavily industrial areas of NW Indiana would have encroached in that direction, to the east of the Port of Indiana.

After you get to the east of the protected area, you'll see the large summer homes (around Beverly) and then, going towards Michigan City and its environs, there are some houses which can be rented, but they are pretty pricey and normally rented by the week. (Of course, they may be less so in October but still would cost some money, IMHO.)

Would you be interested in a B&B not on water? There are Songbird Prairie just between Valpo and Merrillville; and Creekwood Inn (they have a pond) and Tryon Farm Guest House outside of Michigan City.

3. Re: Need a nice hotel directly on Lake Michigan near Valpo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2010, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Valparaiso