We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?

Back in May 2013 driving from FL to WI we ate at Lorenzo's under the new owner. It was outstanding. I was sorry to read it closed a month after we were there. We're again heading to Evansville, did the owner(s) ever re-open or start a new restaurant? Otherwise I'd take dining advice. We'll be at the Hampton Inn/Airport. We've gotten burned on a few bad meals in E'ville so I was disappointed that our Go To place was gone.

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
chandler, Indiana
Level Contributor
77 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?

Lorenzo's has not re-opened. I'll be honest and say I'm not real familiar with restaurants close to the airport - closest would probably be in/near Darmstadt. Are you looking specifically for Italian cuisine, or what would be your specs for dining options? I'd be happy to share some local favorites if you want to be more specific on the types of restaurants you're interested in. And are you looking for lunch or dinner options? Price range?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?

Thanks for your response Chandlergirl. We considered Darmstadt, but didn't want to go that far. We ended up with Turoni's. Very happy with it. We got VERY lucky (it was a Friday night) and they had a table for two. Some of the best pizza we've had and a terrific atmosphere and staff. We were also very pleased with the Hampton, larger rooms than the last two we were in.

If you want to give a few tips, I'll remember them for next year. We often stay in E'Ville on our way back from FL. We're usually looking for good, casual, non-chain restaurants. By the time we've driven all day we don't want to spend a lot of time in a restaurant. We've had to resort to Logan's (decent enough) when we couldn't find anything else. Your city's kind of spread out, lots of land and scattered areas of retail and homes. That makes it a bit tough to find things. Don't get me started on your Lloyd Expressway, strange set up.

chandler, Indiana
Level Contributor
77 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?

Haha. Yes, you totally nailed it on the expressway. And everything is pretty spread out.

Turoni's is a long-standing favorite for good reason. Glad you enjoyed it.

Franklin Street on the west side is a little bit of a drive from the airport area, but has several great locally-owned options. It's an older area that has really become revived. Tin Man Brewery is a local craft brewery that has a great atmosphere and decent menu. Gerst Haus is a German restaurant with a fun atmosphere. Smitty's is an Italian restaurant that's semi-upscale with old world charm; food's good, but a bit pricey. There's also a wine tasting room from Winzerwald Winery out of Jasper. With good weather, it's just a nice little stroll along Franklin - although Tin Man is bit further east than the others).

Deerhead is near the Main street Turoni's, and is similar in the pub feel (although a little more lively, perhaps) and also another popular restaurant with locals. Cross Eyed Cricket is a dive with great food and local delicacies (like brain sandwiches) and is located on the Lloyd near St. Joe on the west side. Other west side goodies are Hilltop Inn and the Olde Mill, both of which are well-established American fare restaurants.

If you're into ethnic foods, there are a great number and varieties to choose from. House of Como near I-69 & IN 41 is a highly ranked Lebanese restaurant (don't let it's truly hole in the wall appearance throw you off). Yen Ching is the city's best Chinese restaurant; Taste of India has a wonderful buffet (both are on the east side). Los Bravos is an ever-expanding Mexican favorite (with locations on the north and east sides, as well as in other nearby towns).

Downtown has Angelo's Italian restaurant - delicious and quaint; The Jungle - unique experience (but it has changed management since the last time I was in there), and Madeleine's (I honestly haven't eaten here myself yet, but it gets rave reviews).

If you're up for a little drive, downtown Newburgh has a couple of really great dining options, as well. Cafe Arazu has a jazzy cafe feel to it and offers up Middle Eastern fare. Edgewater Grille is all about location, with dining on the riverfront; gorgeous views and great American and Mediterranean food.

Well, that's plenty to consider! Hope you get the chance to try some more of our local treasures the next time you're here!

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Gerst Haus
Gerst Haus
286 Reviews
Nashville, TN
House of Como
House of Como
47 Reviews
Evansville, IN
Los Bravos
Los Bravos
76 Reviews
Evansville, IN
chandler, Indiana
Level Contributor
77 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?

Haha. Yes, you totally nailed it on the expressway. And everything is pretty spread out.

Turoni's is a long-standing favorite for good reason. Glad you enjoyed it.

Franklin Street on the west side is a little bit of a drive from the airport area, but has several great locally-owned options. It's an older area that has really become revived. Tin Man Brewery is a local craft brewery that has a great atmosphere and decent menu. Gerst Haus is a German restaurant with a fun atmosphere. Smitty's is an Italian restaurant that's semi-upscale with old world charm; food's good, but a bit pricey. There's also a wine tasting room from Winzerwald Winery out of Jasper. With good weather, it's just a nice little stroll along Franklin - although Tin Man is bit further east than the others).

Deerhead is near the Main street Turoni's, and is similar in the pub feel (although a little more lively, perhaps) and also another popular restaurant with locals. Cross Eyed Cricket is a dive with great food and local delicacies (like brain sandwiches) and is located on the Lloyd near St. Joe on the west side. Other west side goodies are Hilltop Inn and the Olde Mill, both of which are well-established American fare restaurants.

If you're into ethnic foods, there are a great number and varieties to choose from. House of Como near I-69 & IN 41 is a highly ranked Lebanese restaurant (don't let it's truly hole in the wall appearance throw you off). Yen Ching is the city's best Chinese restaurant; Taste of India has a wonderful buffet (both are on the east side). Los Bravos is an ever-expanding Mexican favorite (with locations on the north and east sides, as well as in other nearby towns).

Downtown has Angelo's Italian restaurant - delicious and quaint; The Jungle - unique experience (but it has changed management since the last time I was in there), and Madeleine's (I honestly haven't eaten here myself yet, but it gets rave reviews).

If you like barbeque, Marx BBQ on the west side is the most amazing! Seriously the best BBQ anywhere.

If you're up for a little drive, downtown Newburgh has a couple of really great dining options, as well. Cafe Arazu has a jazzy cafe feel to it and offers up Middle Eastern fare. Edgewater Grille is all about location, with dining on the riverfront; gorgeous views and great American and Mediterranean food.

Well, that's plenty to consider! Hope you get the chance to try some more of our local treasures the next time you're here!

Mentioned in this post
Franklin
Franklin
Tennessee
Gerst Haus
Gerst Haus
286 Reviews
Nashville, TN
House of Como
House of Como
47 Reviews
Evansville, IN
Los Bravos
Los Bravos
76 Reviews
Evansville, IN
chandler, Indiana
Level Contributor
77 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?

Oops! that second post was where I added the part about Marx BBQ. Thought it was important enough to add in.

Boonville, Indiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?

try downtown area on a Friday night in the summer, Milano"s is great. you can sit outside, have a glass of wine, enjoy the good food and you never know who you just might see.

Reply to: Did Lorenzo's Italian Restaurant re-open?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Evansville