We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel for somebody under 21?

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
419 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel for somebody under 21?

Hello my nieces and nephew were going to go with their father on a trip to Evansville to see the Eclipse. For medical reasons their dad can not make the trip. My niece who is 20 was going to still take her two younger brother's (12 and 18) but they found out the hotel will not let them check in without somebody over 21. Any other suggestions of a safe place for them to stay?

4 replies to this topic
cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel for somebody under 21?

Look around for a youth hostel in the area but at this late date probably no space available.

Normally, hotels will not rent to under 21's because if they trash the place the hotel cannot go after them in a lawsuit, they would have to go after the parents - not worth it.

Good luck!!

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel for somebody under 21?

At this late date, chances of finding accomodation are pretty low, I would think. You could maybe see if the University is renting out any dorm rooms, but I think you will need to find an adult to go along.

There is a youth hostel in Indianapolis, according to its website it has one private room remaining with some dorm beds also available, I think a two-night minimum. The two boys could stay in that room I think as one is over 18, while the 20 year old stays in a dorm, or reverse the 18 and 20 year olds. http://www.indyhostel.us/

Aren't the hotel rooms nonrefundable?

They'd have to get up very early from Indy of course.

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
419 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel for somebody under 21?

Thank you all for your help. After my niece read all the fine print in her non-refundable reservation. She did not see anywhere about the check in age. She called the hotel and asked to speak with the manager and told them if they would not let her check in they needed to refund her as there was nothing in her reservation or anything that called attention to the age limit on check-in, she explained her situation and the manager agreed to let them check-in.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel for somebody under 21?

Thanks for the followup and kudos to the kid for checking the fine print & then standing up for what it "said" (really what it didn't say). Also, kudos to the manager for realizing that there wasn't a valid reason to not honoring the booking (and that this wasn't a case where the kids were going to trash the room).

Glad it worked out,

hlo

Reply to: Hotel for somebody under 21?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Evansville