We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?

Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?

We are pretty new to the area and are wondering: How crazy do the freeways get during Labor Day and Memorial Day weekend in the Idaho Falls area? Are there any times we should avoid traveling on certain freeways for the holidays?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations of camping places within 1-2 hours of Idaho Falls that won't be super crowded for those weekends? We would be up for cabin stays or other kinds of short vacations as well that would be good for a 3-day weekend.

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
86 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?

I cannot imagine the I-15 over run with traffic ... The 20 after Ashton, can get slow into W. Yellowstone. I'll suggest the Island Park area,for starters ... happy trails... carracar

2. Re: Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?

Good to know! We'll be sure to not go any further north than Island Park then in order to steer clear of Yellowstone traffic. Thanks for the pointers!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,069 posts
112 reviews
3. Re: Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?

You're not really going to run in to a huge lot of Yellowstone traffic just because it's a weekend. No big population centers nearby to increase visitation on holidays. Maybe some, just not huge amounts. Memorial Day weekend is the time that most of the park roads will have opened.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
645 posts
272 reviews
4. Re: Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?

Yes, as the others have mentioned, there will be some increased traffic on Hwy. 20 but nothing to worry over.

Island Park area is beautiful, but gets crowded during holidays. Harriman State Park has yurts.

Warm River has a nice campground. Driggs area is very nice, and has some stunning views of the Teton's from the Idaho side, as does the road toward Targhee. I think there are some camping type cabins along there.

Also toward Palisades Reservoir and out to Alpine, Wyoming, there is some nice camping available.

A little further going west, about 2.5 hours, is City of Rocks Reserve & Castle Rocks State Park. They have a lodge type rental, a bunkhouse and a yurt as well as tent camping.

Are you tent camping? If so, there are plenty of national forests within 1-2 hours, including the above mentioned areas. Because those are popular holidays, the only way we have found to have less crowds is to get off the main roads and do some tent camping in the forests.

Have fun!

5. Re: Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?

Glad to hear that we won't need to worry about traffic! The park roads being open that weekend definitely opens up a lot of possibilities.

We'd like to do tent camping, but we might save that for Labor Day weekend since I hear that it can still be pretty cold during Memorial Day weekend. Cabins would probably be the safer alternative for Memorial Day. We may get lucky with the weather though.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I'll start researching them all now! :)

Twin Falls, Idaho
5 posts
6. Re: Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?

Hi!

Like DiverMom said, City of Rocks National Reserve and Castle Rocks National Reserve is about 2 and a half hours away from Idaho Falls, and are beautiful places to visit depending on what you are looking for!

Here is some information on Castle Rocks, City of Rocks and the Glamping Yurt that they have there to stay!

https:/…

We hope you enjoy your trip!

Content provided by the Southern Idaho Tourism: visitsouthidaho.com

Reply to: Memorial Day & Labor Day Weekend Ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Idaho Falls