We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

Atlanta
Level Contributor
32 posts
73 reviews
66 helpful votes
Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

Is the beach and water really different between these two locations? We were considering PCB for early August but am reading about jellyfish and wondering if any different in Destin area or is it all the same? Any other major differences in the two areas? We aren't bringing any kids so just things to consider for adults. Thanks!!

Thomaston
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
57 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

The beach and water is just about the same in both places. Destin has some beaches that have been renourished since the last hurricane and holiday isle is experiencing some erosion. Really depends on where you stay in Destin. We like to stay in the Miramar Beach area close to the outlet mall. The beaches don't seem to be as crowded. Crystal Beach is very pretty too. If you post this on the Destin website you will get votes for just Destin because they do love their town. However, I have found that Destin accomodations are more expensive and they don't have as many of the new high rises as Panama City Beach has. They will argue this point, but it has just been my experience. When we go to Destin, we prefer to rent a house. There is more for children to do in Panama City Beach, but Destin is more upscale. My money goes farther in PCB and they have the new Pier Park shopping thing going on so I would say its a tossup. I love going to both so I don't think you would go wrong with either one.

Alabama
Level Contributor
235 posts
1 review
2. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

Panama City Most Definitely !!!!! The beaches are beautiful, not as expensive as Destin and there are more things to do !!

louisiana
Level Contributor
150 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

Destin is much more expensive.you can get much nicer accomodations in PC for a much lower price than Destin.I have been going to PCB for over 20 years and have thought about staying in Destin.But the difference in prices is just too much.Plus we always had children with us and there is more for children in PC.

Margaret, Alabama
Level Contributor
340 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

In PC you will find more kids/teens

Destin is more upscale to me.

michigan
Level Contributor
364 posts
4 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

You can go to VRBO.com and compare prices for similar rooms. Have fun.

Destin, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,775 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

Of course, I'm gonna say Destin... but as far as the sand and water goes, there is virtually no difference...

If you like highrises, then either stay in Downtown Destin or PCB....

If you don't like your beach so crowded... then try the Crystal Beach or Miramar Beach areas of Destin...

If you want even more seclusion, try Scenic 30A (between Destin and Panama City Beach)

IN
Level Contributor
457 posts
23 reviews
31 helpful votes
7. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

Yes, the beach is pretty much the same. There are some great restaurants in Destin and I prefer to shop there (I can go to the Pier Park shops at my local mall). However, from what I understand, most of the condos & hotels are not directly on the beach and are more expensive. Also, the traffic in Destin is horrendous during off season. I can't even imagine it during peak season.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
32 posts
73 reviews
66 helpful votes
8. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

Thanks everyone! We are going to try PCB this trip due largely to cost differences.

Bolivar, Tennessee
Level Contributor
89 posts
19 reviews
20 helpful votes
9. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

I don't know what happened to Destin. I always went yearly to Destin, and up until about 5 years ago it was cheaper than PCB. I always stayed at the Jetty East. Now it is so much more expensive, it is worth it to drive on to PCB.

This year we are spending a week in PCB...then to Santa Rosa Beach for a few days and will drive over to Destin to go shopping from there. We just can't justify staying in Destin anymore.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
47,208 posts
559 reviews
180 helpful votes
10. Re: Panama City Beach vs Destin ??

For the peace and quiet and less crowds we now go to the Seagrove Beach/Seaside area on 30-A.

Get answers to your questions about Panama City Beach
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.