We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida - March for base

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Florida - March for base
Save

Looking for opinions on what is a good base town to stay in Flordia during early March. I will be working remotely from the location, but want to do some sightseeing while in Florida for about 18 days. My sons will be joining me for a few days during the trip, and might want to visit a few of the parks. There could be 5 of us in the residence. I've been overwhelmed by rental options, after looking near Ruskin, Bradenton, and now Orlando. Looking for a vacation rental, and would appreciate any suggestions on a nice location. I would love somewhere that has a 3 bdrm condo with community pool, but also a little outside space for a walk or evening sunset. Any ideas?

8 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
1. Re: Florida - March for base
Save

I would pick Bradenton area of that list.

Definitely not Orlando. Drive up and spend a night to see the parks, but it's not a nice base.

Bradenton area you can do sunset walks by the water, easy drive to St Petersburg or Tampa for culture if you want.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Florida - March for base
Save

Hmmm. Interesting. The challenge I have is that there are less expensive options in Orlando.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
9,091 posts
31 reviews
10 helpful votes
3. Re: Florida - March for base
Save

Not sure what Coral Gardener comment is supposed to mean, but sounds like someone whose only experience is the tourist zone and not Orlando.

Without knowing anything about you, plans, it's hard to make a recommendation. Sure, if you will mostly be working and want to see the beach and experience that laid-back vibe and maybe take an occasional read trip, then a city on the coast might be a good choice.

If however, you are someone looking for a variety of restaurants and bars, to have something in the evening, then you would probably be bored to death in Bradenton.

Orlando is certainly more central, so easier to visit either coast, but also more of pain getting around because of traffic. There are certainly some nice, residential areas in Orlando/Central Florida, only trick is the various restrictions on short-term (AirBnB-type) rentals in some of the cities.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
795 posts
77 reviews
80 helpful votes
4. Re: Florida - March for base
Save

Orlando will have the most options and will likely be cheaper. Definitely not Ruskin. Bradenton - really depends on where in Bradenton. If it were me, I would try and find a place on the beach but that could be costly. If being near or on the water is not an option for you, Orlando will likely provide the most and best options.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Florida - March for base
Save

Thank you. I am so torn!! It’s hard finding anything on/near beach that is not a fortune. In Orlando, I can find a rental that had resort amenities and I thought I might be able to drive to Beach in weekend. Hmmm. Such a dilemma. If you have any suggestions for neighborhood nearwater/gulf side or inter coastal waterway, please let me know. It’s a challenge when I don’t know the area too well!!!!

United States
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
6. Re: Florida - March for base
Save

My bias is I grew up close to the Gulf and I cannot imagine doing a snowbird stay in a base more than 15 minutes from a beach walk.

Orlando for all its charms is not on the Gulf or Atlantic.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Florida - March for base
Save

Clearwater beach? I’m looking now at a rental place near Indian Rocks? Not sure of the rates?? Guidance is greatly appreciated.

Edited: 12 October 2021, 04:56
United States
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
8. Re: Florida - March for base
Save

Both are good. The barrier island strip from Pass A Grille to Clearwater Beach is very nice. Just look at Google aerial view to be sure you understand the area, beach access points, etc.

Reply to: Florida - March for base
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.