We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Gay Week?

Mississippi
8 posts
Memorial Day Gay Week?

We are planning to vacation at Navarre Beach Memorial Day weekend 2011. Traveling with me will be my wife and young child, my sister and her husband and their young child, and my 60-year-old parents. We had previously planned on going to Pensacola, but learned that on Memorial Day weekend tens of thousands of homosexuals converge for a Gay Pride weekend and basically take over the beaches and restaurants.

Now, I have no desire to engage in a political or moral discussion regarding homosexuality. I'm simply looking for information regarding whether the gay pride festivities/crowds extend to Navarre (we're staying at the Pearl), and if so, what we can expect. If most of the crowds will be closer to Pensacola, we'll probably still go to Navarre.

Thanks for any information.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day Gay Week?

Having gone to Gay Pride Weekend in Pensacola myself, I will tell you that yes, the festivites are held exclusively in the Pensacola/Pensacola Beach area. However, many goers choose to stay in surrounding hotels and condos outside of Pensacola, including Navarre Beach, as the Pensacola accomodations sell out quickly. That said, all celebrations are held close to the Pensacola beach area. If you want to stear clear of this, I suggest staying in Navarre and venturing out the other way toward Destin/Santa Rosa/Seaside.

2. Re: Memorial Day Gay Week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Navarre