We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West

San Antonio, Texas
2 posts
1 review
Key West

Planning a birthday trip for my SO in October. I also saw that it’s during the same time as Fantasy Fest. We have never been to Key West, are in our mid 50’s and want to have a good time visiting sites, bars and beaches and experiencing a little of the nightlife. Going at this particular time, are we going to be disappointed? Should I look at the week prior to FF?

11 replies to this topic
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Key West

I would, you will likely miss out on some of the charm of key west. There are places you can escape to but others you will miss out on.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Key West

It's crazy busy that week so I agree it's best to avoid it. Lodging prices will also be much lower the week before.

Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Key West

Any reservations you could get at this point are likely not of quality and or value. Yes , if unsure about Fantasy Fest then please google it first.Either you will love it or hate it. Yes ,prices doubled. Not at all the normal KW but we love it.

San Antonio, Texas
2 posts
1 review
4. Re: Key West

Thank you! Found a good deal at a different time at Cypress Hotel so hopefully that will be a good choice/experience!

Edited: 18 September 2018, 14:42
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,646 posts
659 reviews
5. Re: Key West

Since it won't be super hot it would be a good time for me.

Adrian, Michigan
Level Contributor
526 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Key West

October can still be plenty hot and humid . Being from San Antonio it shouldn't be a problem for you . But don't expect cool dry weather . Plenty going on that time of year although some restaurants are closed . Blue heaven comes to mind . best to avoid FF just for the price hikes alone . let alone the crowds .

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,249 posts
156 reviews
7. Re: Key West

Cypress Inn is a good choice. Enjoy your trip!

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Key West

Stayed at Cypress House last October (FF week). We enjoyed our stay there. Very close to the nightlife and bars, and many good restaurants. Close enough to walk to all the Old Town attractions, marinas/snorkel boats, etc, but tucked away enough to find peace and relaxing times when you want to.

Deerfield Beach...
Level Contributor
854 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: Key West

If you have never been to FF, I highly recommend you look it up and consider going at a different time.

Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
62 reviews
10. Re: Key West

Fantasy Fest would leave a first time tourist into the wrong opinion of Key West. Yes for us would love it to be that crazy every day but most likely would not enjoy. It is an almost illegal party and in most places would be. The nudity goes a bit too far but fine with us. I suggest going back in time to understand why it was created. Last years poor turnout is being blamed on false news reports. Can tell you last year was far slower than we seen in years. Hopefully this year will make a change and help the economy of all of the keys.

Reply to: Key West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key West