We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

michigan
Level Contributor
396 posts
94 reviews
Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

Has anyone stayed at both properties and have thoughts on which would be the better stay for two adults? Would be using HH points, points same for non-ocean view at both places. We are looking to do some relaxing by pool and beach, some sight seeing, nice dining and a little partying while in Key West in upcoming March. Thanks.

Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
400 Reviews
from US$49.99*
US$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
154 Reviews
from US$63.00*
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
142 Reviews
from US$145.00*
11 replies to this topic
Roswell, Georgia
1 post
3 reviews
1. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

We stayed at Casa Marina and it is a larger property, but older. Our room was wonderful overlooking the beach, but I've read that not every room is as nice. There are 2 pools-1 for children/families, and a large pool bar for lunch or a cocktail on the beach. The Reach is a smaller but newer property, and it has a nice restaurant. Casa Marina has a wonderful breakfast, and lunch at the pool bar, but nothing for dinner. If you are looking for a more elegant larger property, Casa Marina would fit the bill. The Reach was definitely walking distance though, so we checked out the restaurant for dinner.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

I came close to staying at the Reach last year but the hurricane pushed our trip back and we wound up at the Casa Marina where we have stayed several times. We really enjoy the grounds and ambience of the CM, just don't attach any significance to the Waldorf tag at either hotel. The Reach gets some pretty bad reviews on the FT Hilton board but they are pretty picky and I can't confirm from personal experience.

We also like the Doubletree. Our trip this October was going to be five nights at the CM on points and three using Amex weekend nights certificates, but the DT was almost 100K less points for five nights so I am using the points for the DT and certs for the CM.

I thought the CM restaurant serves dinner but I've never had anything but pool service lunch there. Salute! On the Beach is right around the corner and is a terrific restaurant. I understand the CM will shuttle you to the Reach, but I never tried it. We did once walk over for an event and it is an easy walk. You will have pool and beach privileges at either resort.

If you set your expectations low at the CM for room quality and upgrades you won't be disappointed. I'm a Hilton Diamond and we usually get a room in the original building at the CM or occasionally a balcony room with an ocean view as an upgrade. Just realize going in it is a historic hotel not a luxury resort. We do enjoy the fact they come around with drink samples, ice pops and fruit at the pool and beach during the day. The pool and beach staff do a great job and the pool bar is very nice.

All our stays for the past six years have been at the DT or CM either on points or cash. Some day we have to make it to the Reach, it does have a better location to walk to Duval Street or the free loop bus.

michigan
Level Contributor
396 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

Thank you both for your input. I am hesitant to stay at DT as we would like some beach atmosphere. I won't have enough points to book an ocean view room so we will have to settle for a standard view room. I doubt we will be in our room much so that's ok, and I won't hold out for an upgrade because I'm not diamond status and it will be March, a busy time.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
918 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

I have only stayed at CM, but have seen the reach. I think the CM is the nicer property. Reach is slightly better located.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
577 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

I've only stayed at the Reach I'm afraid, but loved it.

Clean, modern room, lovely pool and arguably the best beach on the island.

CM looked nice as well, but seemed to be a bit busier than the reach.

We had no problem getting a lounger by the pool. Only real downside, and this applies to both properties obviously, is it's a bit of a walk to Mallory square. Ok on the way down, not so good on the way back after a few rums!

Reading...
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
37 reviews
6. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

They are both very cool.... I luv Casa, it's majestic and filled with history... I like the Reach for the beach, and the location is a tad bit closer to the "action"... both are close to one of my fave restaraunts Louie's Backyard....If your a first timer , I think I'd opt for the Reach.

michigan
Level Contributor
396 posts
94 reviews
7. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

Thank you for the replies : )

new jersey
Level Contributor
158 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

We stay at Casa all the time. Even on HH points, if you get a standard room in the new building, ask for a corner room.. these are not generally an upgrade. Sorry I can't remember the room numbers, but the ones closest to the bike rental area have a decent Ocean View for not being an ocean view room... also, we never pay for parking. There's plenty of parking on the street right in front of the hotel for free..not so with the Reach..We have also stayed at the Reach, and although lovely, it doesnt have the charm of Casa...DT is in New Town, so definitely not walkable to Old Town, but they have the shuttle..

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,251 posts
156 reviews
9. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

The City plans on making some of the parking on the streets surrounding the Casa Marina resident permit parking, do be careful where you park. It will say “resident permit” on the street.

The Reach is the better location for walking when you are out enjoying nightlife. It is also a block away from the free bus if you get tired of walking.

https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

Edited: 07 July 2018, 00:42
michigan
Level Contributor
396 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points

Appreciated the replies, ultimately what we ended up booking was 3 nights at the Best Western Hibiscus and 2 nights at Casa Marina on points. Figured we'd do our more in town touristy stuff the first few days while at the BW then have a couple of more pool/chilling days at CM. Dinner at Salute is on the agenda while at CM, thanks for that tip. Going in March so know it will be busy, not expecting any upgrades.

Reply to: Casa Marina vs The Reach... staying on points
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key West