We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida key intinary

Hesperia, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
Florida key intinary
Save

Hello. I will be flying in from the west coast

1 night in Miami then to Marathon keys for 2 nights

Key west 2 nights , key largo 2 nights the on the way back to Miami stop in Everglades for a few hours. Last night in Miami to explore then home next morning.

Like walking biking kayaking snorkeling boat rides turtle and dolphins

Seeing it this sounds good and if you reccomend something different would appreciate it.

Thank you

10 replies to this topic
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
11 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

This is a lot of moving from place to place, but if you don't mind checking in/out several times, it should be fine. We've stayed in 3 different locations in a week though and it is doable.

Do you have lodging set up yet? If not, feel free to share dates or budget and folks can make recommendations.

There are great things to do in all of the locations. These are just a few specific recommendations, but there are so many more!:

Kayaking - we liked kayaking in John Pennekamp in Key Largo, and out of Robbie's near Islamorada too.

Turtles - try the Turtle Hospital in Marathon - you need reservations.

Lots of biking - some rent bikes to get around Key West.

Great snorkeling all around the Keys, but the best requires a boat trip out. We went to the reef out of Key West and it was great. There are trips out of Middle Keys areas too.

Everglades - one trip we may a stop near Homestead for the Anhinga Trail and it was a great experience. Saw lots of wildlife and nature. A few minutes away is a great fruit stand called Robert is Here that is a fun stop too.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
21,160 posts
30 reviews
25 helpful votes
2. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

While in Marathon check out Turtle Hospital for your turtle fix. Aquarium Encounters is an interesting visit. Dolphin Research Center for your dolphin fix.

Time of year can make a difference in your trip in regards to all that driving.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
17,523 posts
175 reviews
126 helpful votes
3. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

I would just drive directly to Key West from Miami and spend 3 nights there and then stop for 3 night in either Marathon, Islamorada or Key Largo on the way back. Key West is easily worth having two full days and you won’t be moving around as much as your current plan.

Hesperia, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
4. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

Thank you

No lodging yet

My budget is around $200 per night

If too much moving around should I stay in key largo 1/2 the time?

Hesperia, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
5. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

Than you for your advice

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
21,160 posts
30 reviews
25 helpful votes
6. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

I'm not understanding why Key Largo if a couple of specifics are in Marathon? Nothing wrong with Key Largo, it's just doesn't have a couple of the items you requested.

Again, when when when will make a difference with now not only travel time but with that budget. September is our slowest month here and it's hard to find a place in that budget then.

Hesperia, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
7. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

I was going to do marathon and key largo or not

I am coming March 1-9 and some time in Miami

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
21,160 posts
30 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

March is crazy busy. That budget will be difficult.

Your drive times will be a bit longer than right now too. Not as bad as closer to the end of March, but just be prepared for traffic and waits at restaurants and attractions.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
17,523 posts
175 reviews
126 helpful votes
9. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

If you take my advise and do three nights in two places, consider Islamorada. It’s located between Marathon and Key Largo and is a good base to explore both areas.

Hesperia, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
10. Re: Florida key intinary
Save

That is a good idea

I just didn’t want to drive a hour and then Back track with any traffic

Reply to: Florida key intinary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Florida Keys
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.