We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Maps

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
Road Maps

We will be driving through NI and SI for a month in July - we will be flying in Auckland from Sydney -are the road maps readily available at the airport - if not what is the best place to get them.

I guess I can buy them here in the US but that may be old and would cost Money.

Thanks for your help.

NK

8 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Christchurch, South Island, Akaroa
Level Contributor
51,371 posts
577 reviews
231 helpful votes
1. Re: Road Maps

Most people find Google Maps and a bit of common sense are enough. [For example if GM says go this way and there is a large sign saying "Road Closed" or "Private Road" don't go there!]

Your rental car should come with a book of maps or at very least a fold out map that will get you from A to B, but maybe not to an out-of-the-way BnB.

At AKL you should find a Jason's stand, with a minimum of a map for the central NI region. Jason's maps are not very detailed but again, will get you from place-to-place. More maps & detailed local maps are freely available at all I-sites.

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
91 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Road Maps

Google Maps are now showing road closures which

hinders forward planning say for next month !

Another source of roadmaps is an AA (Automobile Assoc.)

office - they can supply maps called "local touring" which

shows every road name - handy when lost.

AA "accepts" overseas membership of similar organizations.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
13,925 posts
9 reviews
14 helpful votes
3. Re: Road Maps

NHKOO - I'm with you on preferring an old school paper map. We have used Kiwimaps' map of the South Island for our two trips. It has just about every road on the island on, along with good city maps as well. They are readily available all over NZ.

I'm getting heartily sick of using my car's sat nav here in the UK, as I can rely on it to get something wrong on almost every journey. The other day I set it to find a shop in a local town and it sent me down a one way street and ignored the "new" bridge which has been there for at least 5 years - not only didn't send me that way but it wasn't even on the map!

California
Destination Expert
for New Zealand
Level Contributor
18,733 posts
71 reviews
33 helpful votes
4. Re: Road Maps

A car's sat nav is only up to date as the date it was installed. So if your car is over 5 years old, so is your sat nav's maps.

I plug in my iPad and use googlemaps to get me around. Newer cars have bluetooth so I get voice instructions through the sound system of my car.

Funny how people will pay $1500 for the sat nav option on a car when they probably already have googlemaps loaded on their phones or ipads. They just need to learn how to use it. Googlemaps are up to date, while you take your chances with sat nav maps that are years old (and expensive to update).

Edited: 5 years ago
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
5. Re: Road Maps

Thanks everyone for your feedback - this is very helpful.

Regards,

Nk

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Salta, Bolivia, Peru
Level Contributor
11,457 posts
354 reviews
191 helpful votes
6. Re: Road Maps

if you go to https://www.newzealand.com/uk/ and scroll down to the contact us link at the bottom you can request a free high quality map which shows all the scenic driving routes in the country. They will post anywhere in the world. We have used this as starting point for planning several long trips to NZ.

The AA have a great online Time and Distance calculator which we found helpful https://www.aa.co.nz/travel/time-and-distance-calculator/ . They also have more detail maps available free at iSites which are just about everywhere.

Otherwise we used google maps on and iPhone as suggested above

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,598 posts
214 reviews
106 helpful votes
7. Re: Road Maps

Last time I picked up a rental they provided extensive maps. However reading the map and finding the Harbour Bridge was a challenge. Fairly straight forward after that.

On a second trip I was rescued by a real helpful server in Maccas who told me to go a bit further south, pick up the motorway and then head north. Saved a lot of stress and time. Better than the map or GPS :)

I know men are not supposed to ask for directions but I was confident I would not be recognised. Your rules may be different.

Tauranga, New...
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
136 reviews
48 helpful votes
8. Re: Road Maps

The best map reader is a tech savvy teenager in the passenger seat with a smart phone!

:;)

Reply to: Road Maps
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cardrona
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.