We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passing through

Boston...
Level Contributor
508 posts
37 reviews
26 helpful votes
Passing through

We will possibly be spending the night in GJ to be closer to the airport. Will probably come in the morning to stay the entire day and leave for the airport early the next morning. Need suggestions for something to do for the day, a nice place to have dinner and sleep for the night. We will be driving from Utah. Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Colorado Western...
Destination Expert
for Ouray, Outdoors / Adventure Travel, Montrose
Level Contributor
875 posts
28 reviews
24 helpful votes
1. Re: Passing through

You didn't say if you are interested in outdoor scenery or hiking, or prefer museums or other indoor activities, but the first thing that comes to mind is visiting Colorado National Monument, which is gorgeous, either for simply driving through or for stopping to take a hike.

Edited: 1 year ago
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
12,996 posts
249 reviews
189 helpful votes
2. Re: Passing through

Downtown Grand Junction is famous for the Art on the Corner. All over town there are sculptures, the town has some nice stores, you can rent bikes to ride fantastic trails, see the museums, botanical garden, or go to Bananas for miniature golf and all sorts of fun. Check out the list at https://www.visitgrandjunction.com/

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
15,169 posts
153 reviews
161 helpful votes
3. Re: Passing through

I have a friend who flies in to Grand Junction when she visits the area. She always stays at the Comfort Inn near the airport. She says it is very comfortable and convenient to the airport for her early morning flight.

Another favorite of friends is the Wine Country Inn. It's at Palisade, but near the Interstate so is an easy drive to the airport. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g33585-d1130076-Reviews-Wine_Country_Inn-Palisade_Colorado.html There are many other good choices for your lodging.

What type of food did you have in mind?

We tend to find ourselves in Grand Junction at lunchtime and DH wants BBQ or a burger, so it's been a while since I've been in Grand Junction for a nice dinner. Thus, I'm probably not the best person to give advice. I've heard good things about a couple of unique places you might want to consider. Spoons has a Trip Advisor Travelers Choice award, and is well reviewed. It supports HopeWest Hospice and uses local food suppliers when possible. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g33450-d1551384-Reviews-Spoons_bistro_bakery-Grand_Junction_Colorado.html The other place I want to try is Devil's Kitchen, which is the rooftop restaurant at the Hotel Maverick, which is Colorado Mesa University's hospitality teaching program. It's my DIL's current favorite restaurant, so it is also on my list. If you're there near sunset, I've seen some lovely photos of the view of Colorado National Monument. The restaurant takes its name from a popular hiking trail https://www.devilskitchenrestaurant.com/

Virginia
Level Contributor
113 posts
17 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Passing through

GJ and the surrounding area is beautiful. I would suggest going to Colorado National Monument as it is similar to a small Grand Canyon. You can drive through and stop at various places along the way. I am sure you could take a hike there if that is something you would like to do. The drive east of GJ through the Colorado river canyon is cool too. Maybe stop by the small town of Pallisade and look around as it is a neat place to see as well.

Reply to: Passing through
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grand Junction
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.