We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica Beach

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5 posts
93 reviews
Santa Monica Beach

Can you buy beer or any alcohol from the Perry's Beach cafes in Santa Monica?

6 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,203 posts
262 reviews
1. Re: Santa Monica Beach

No alcohol.

http://www.perryscafe.com/menu-2.html

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,457 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Santa Monica Beach

If you want to drink at the beach, you have to go to one of the bars at the Pier, or the base of the Pier. There are a couple along the bike path in Venice, too.

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Santa Monica Beach

Do you know the names of any of these bars please? Thank-you for letting me know about Perry's! :)

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,457 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Santa Monica Beach

You'll see them. Or use Google Maps and click on "nearby" and type in the word "bars and pubs". If you're looking to buy alcohol to take with you onto the beach, you cannot - it's against the law. You can drink in a proper establishment along the beach, though. I like Shutters Hotel's Petal Cafe and Bar - a great happy hour there, too.

Edited: 24 May 2018, 04:45
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,784 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Santa Monica Beach

At the end of the Pier is a Mexican Restaurant. You could end up there for sunset on the patio for Beer, Margaritas and Nachos, or a meal. Great views over the water as the sun goes down.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,203 posts
262 reviews
6. Re: Santa Monica Beach

Bars are either near the Santa Monica pier, or Venice. Santa Monica is a family city, full of kids. My tenant from NYC describes it as "Brady Bunch land." Which isn't inaccurate!

Venice has more bars close to the sand. You won't find beach bars here, our beaches are free to the public, and public consumption of alcohol isn't legal in the states. You'll find that bars that have outdoor areas will be fenced off from public spaces.

And yes, it's very easy to find just about anything using Google maps. I'm not an app person, I do my homework on a computer, sending directions to my phone. Most apps are lousy, so do research on a computer to get all the best features of Google maps.

Open it, put in your start point, then click NEARBY under the address. You'll see restaurants, hotels, bars/pubs. Click the latter and the map populates. You can click on the bar to see reviews, weblink, hours and plot how far away it is from you. Send those walking directions to your phone to use off-line while here.

You can search for anything: closest Metro station, dry cleaner, coffee shop, anything.

Reply to: Santa Monica Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica
Recent Conversations