We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

My husband and I are taking a short jaunt without the baby for the first time to LA from Las Vegas (where we will be visiting my parents - we are from NYC). We only have 3 nights away - and will be staying in Santa Monica while there -as we're looking for mini beach vacation and have never been to SM.

Should we drive to the LA area from Vegas or fly? My husband, a northern Californian swears to me that we'd be crazy to come to LA without a car. I disagree, especially if I think we'll be in SM mostly the entire time. Or am I crazy not to head to W Hollywood, Beverly Hills or even the Getty (of which we'd drive there, rather than take cabs or Uber).

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
W Hollywood
W Hollywood
1,882 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
7 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,759 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

You can fly and rent a car in LA easy enough. Depending on your travel days about 4 or 5 airlines offer nonstop flights to LAX for as low as $50-$75 each way if you are staying in Santa Monica, if you decide on Hollywood (id stay at the beach) fly Southwest into Burbank (BUR).

If you drive from LV just make sure to plan your drive around traffic and the drive is very easy. Dont arrive/leave SoCal during rush hour, dont leave LV on a Sunday between the hours of about 9am-7pm and dont drive to LV on Friday after about noon, earlier even better.

Edited: 17 May 2018, 15:28
Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Burbank
Burbank
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,337 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

Where are you staying in SM?

Fly - no need for a car. Not in the age of Uber. Why pay for parking and gas, etc, or deal with directions, when you can have a driver for a fraction of the cost?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,058 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

What do you plan do to while staying in Santa Monica? If to relax and perhaps see Beverly Hills, Griffith Observatory, or stroll the Arts District in downtown LA, you won't need a car. We have a Metro light rail train that connects downtown LA with Santa Monica. Lyft and Uber work well, too (I prefer to use for the "last mile" if it's too far to walk or dressed up/heels). In this scenerio, you can easily fly Southwest to and from, use mass transit/rideshares while here.

Unless you are going out to clubs, there's really not a lot ot see in West Hollywood. It's about 7 miles to Beverly Hills from downtown Santa Monica, easy Lyft. Either Getty can be enjoyed via Lyft as well.

I'm with you, do without the car. Enjoy your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Griffith Observatory
Griffith Observatory
16,733 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

Thanks, all. My hubs is originally from California and swears to me that no one takes public transportation. I'm ok with relying on uber. I had thought we'd mainly be by the beach, but weather forecasts are telling me we should make other plans, so we plan to stay in Santa Monica, stroll around, head over to Venice and spend time there, see the Getty and maybe one stop in West Hollywood to a great restaurant. All things point to no car needed, I guess.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,029 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

" I had thought we'd mainly be by the beach, but weather forecasts are telling me we should make other plans"

Weather forecast for when? High 60s this week and mid-70s and sunny all next week with a gentle breeze.

I'm coming down to SM this weekend and plan to be on the beach most of the time :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

Thanks phaminator. Yes, it will be nice, I for some reason thought it would be very warm - in the 80's. We'll still plan to have some beach time

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28,759 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts

72-75 on the beach in SoCal is as perfect as you will ever want. When its 80 its too hot, sand gets real hot etc.

Reply to: To fly or drive to Santa Monica from Las Vegas? 4 days/3 nts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica