We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Cabin" trip to Santa Monica

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
"Cabin" trip to Santa Monica

I wonder if anyone has taken Cabin, formerly called the Sleep Bus. It runs between San Francisco and Los Angeles – one direct trip each night from each city at 11:00, arriving about 7:00 a.m. The routes were designed to take 8 hours and are not on I-5, to allow for a more relaxing full night's sleep, and you aren’t rushed off the bus but can hang out until 9:00.

This is their website. BTW the official name seems to be Cabin, not The Cabin. If you google “The Cabin,” it doesn’t come up. https://www.ridecabin.com/

I was mentally designing a Cabin adventure, admittedly mainly for the experience (but if it's good, it might not be the last time). It isn't cheaper than flying, but you get to spend the trip sleeping in a bed in a private cubicle with curtains, not piled in on top of scores of other bodies with no knee room where you need a snowplow to clear a path to the restroom. It takes longer, but maybe not when you consider the hassle of getting to the airport, any needed formalities at both arrival and landing, and getting to your final destination, during which you are awake and conscious the whole time instead of relaxing. The compartments have lights, wi-fi, and electrical outlets, and there is a lounge where, if the pictures don’t lie, you can actually sit up like an adult human being.

The San Francisco stop is Bryant and the Embarcadero, a pitb for folks in outer residential areas to get to at night, but the Los Angeles stop is at the Santa Monica Pier, which would be a cool arrival location for morning. I have a couple of possible destinations that I’d be interested in within 7-8 miles of the pier that might be convenient to get to. I know nothing about public transit in the Los Angeles area, but have to believe it must be pretty decent in the Santa Monica/Pico to West Hollywood corridor. Am I right?

Another question is that if I do my activities and return to the pier and enjoy it for awhile, are there safe places to hang out later while waiting for the northbound bus? It’s available for boarding at 10:30 p.m. I’d be looking for a family-friendly park area, a casual restaurant, or even a hotel lobby where they don't mind if folks sit and relax (or is big enough that employees don’t know who is or isn’t a hotel guest).

If I decide to stay over a night, what is the rough price range of lodgings on Ocean Ave. (or within a block or two) between about California and Ocean Park? The Seashore Motel gets pretty good reviews and is affordable and seems to be well located for a short stay without a car.

1 reply
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,707 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Cabin" trip to Santa Monica

Sorry I can't help with the Cabin experience, I didn't even know it stopped at Santa Monica pier!

If you share what you plan to do, we can tell you how easy/hard via mass transit, but it's just as easy for you to plot your trips on Google Maps, start with Santa Monica pier, end wherever you want, choose the bus icon,see what route options you have. To Hollywood/West Hollywood, it's Metro Bus 704 from downtown Santa Monica. When you plot, you'll see where to pick up the bus, where it lets you off.

To get to downtown LA is very simple: Metro expo train starts in downtown LA at the 7th St. Metro station, ends at 4th St./Colorado in downtown Santa Monica, 4 blocks away from the beach.

Depending on what those plans are, you may be better off seeking lodging in that area. If Hollywood, for example, it has more budget options than Santa Monica. Santa Monica, being upscale and oceanside, is expensive, and we are only 8 square miles, just not that much inventory compared to LA.

The pier area is generally safe. There will be homeless there, for the most part, they don't bother anyone, and aggressive ones aren't a big issue here. Tongva Park is a nice place, check it out! Any of the benches along the Third Street Promenade are fine, and there are ample coffee shops.

You know we are Silicon Beach, and that means free and ample wifi throughout the city. Along the major boulevards, 3rd St. Promenade it's free. csmgisweb.smgov.net/docs/mapcatalog/wifi.pdf

So, let us know what those destinations may be, we'll share routes and tips. Share your nightly budget and we can tell you about lodging. Again, consider Hollywood for the night, lots of budget choices, lots to do and see, no worries getting back to Santa Monica.

Reply to: "Cabin" trip to Santa Monica
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica