We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one month in San Rafael ... how do I find inexpensive room?

mexico city
Level Contributor
49 posts
72 reviews
74 helpful votes
one month in San Rafael ... how do I find inexpensive room?

Hello; I'm accompanying my wife to San Rafael in December while she studies at Dominican Univ. and SHE'S got lodging/food already provided, but I ALSO need to stay somewhere during this month ... hopefully SOMEWHAT close to San Rafael.

I will have a car there.

Anyone have any ideas, besides Craigslist ... which has gotten me nothing so far ???

I realize it's an expensive area, but my needs are very basic.

I was hoping to find a sub-let from some student there, who's going home for Christmas, but I guess I don't know how to look for this.

Please ... ANY ideas you might have.

Thanks.

Rick

4 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
22,736 posts
79 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: one month in San Rafael ... how do I find inexpensive room?

I'm not sure if airbnb-type rentals are allowed in San Rafael, but you might check those listings (and also Google the city's lodging rules to see if there's any problem). The university may also have a housing office that can help, even though her lodging is arranged. I'd be VERY wary of Craig's List, as there are lots of scams that use it... people listing non-existent rooms or rooms they don't own to scam deposits, etc. (Not specific to San Rafael, but this problem exists in lots of areas....)

mexico city
Level Contributor
49 posts
72 reviews
74 helpful votes
2. Re: one month in San Rafael ... how do I find inexpensive room?

thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the suggestions.

yes, I've been checking airbnb ... and besides outrageously expensive places, there's little available NEAR there; of course in Oakland there's a bunch of rooms available, but I'd be making a 45 minute drive (at least) to-and-from San Rafael almost every day. and that's not how I envisioned spending a sort-of vacation.

Yes, I know Craigslist has lots of scams, but it still seems to be the "go-to" site for room rentals. (my 35 yr old daughter has used it in San Diego exclusively for ten years to keep her house "stocked" with roommates; only one problem in all those years ... a guy was a real jerk and hard to get rid of.)

Thanks again for replying so fast to my question.

Cheers!

Rick

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
22,736 posts
79 reviews
50 helpful votes
3. Re: one month in San Rafael ... how do I find inexpensive room?

If there's nothing in San Rafael on airbnb it may well be that those types of rentals are illegal in that town. In which case, you'll be hard-pressed to find something. You could try contacting rental agents there, but I don't know if they'll handle a rental for that short a period. Also Google "corporate apartments" or similar, although those are also liable to be expensive.

I wouldn't commute from Oakland... going across the bridge will add to the cost and traffic of the commute. Try Santa Rosa if you are looking for something cheap... it's about the same driving time as Oakland but it's a straight shot up Hwy. 101.

What is your actual budget for the month?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,612 posts
6 reviews
30 helpful votes
4. Re: one month in San Rafael ... how do I find inexpensive room?

Rental agents who handle 'vacation rentals' might be delighted to have someone staying longer than two weeks. I sent you a PM with some suggestions of realtors to try.

I cannot find anything that indicates that San Rafael has an ordinance against short term rentals. Your problem may be finding one which is convenient for you which has a vacancy for the entire time you need. airbnb has some interesting places in San Rafael for under $100 which rent a room with a bath and usually include kitchen privileges. If you find one of these just use your due diligence to make sure the terms are fair.

I will still urge you to contact the housing office at Dominican University and tell them your dilemma.

Good luck.

Reply to: one month in San Rafael ... how do I find inexpensive room?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Rafael