We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions on Renting Car in Los Angeles (LAX) -DUI on Record

Edmontonn, AB
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Questions on Renting Car in Los Angeles (LAX) -DUI on Record
Save

Hello, my boyfriend and I are taking a trip to Los Angeles and will be needing to rent a car. We both hold valid Canadian licenses. Regrettably, I have a 2.5 year old DUI on my record and I am worried that this will hinder my ability to rent. My boyfriend cannot rent because he does not have a credit card, but will be listed as additional driver if possible with whichever company we chose.

Question 1: I am a Canadian citizen and the incident took place in Canada, if/when any of the car rental companies run a check on my license at the rental desk are they able to access my Canadian driving records from the USA?

Question 2: The Fox Car Rental Agreement states that I need an international license and my passport to rent. Has something changed with the international license policy in the US and will I need to get an international license before I go? If it is not a necessity, would just getting that international license help me get through the system more smoothly (perhaps they will not run my records and detect DUI?)

PS - I have looked into this and Enterprise will rent to me with a DUI as they don't run a check and will also allow my significant other to be listed as a secondary driver without having a credit card. I will rent from them if need be, just asking these further questions to expand my options as Enterprise seems to be the priciest of the bunch.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
236 posts
9 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Questions on Renting Car in Los Angeles (LAX) -DUI on Record
Save

There is nothing wrong with Enterprise in the US at least. I rent from them fairly often.

(as a caution though, non-US Enterprise is a totally different legal entity and often cited for predatory damage claims)

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
56 reviews
223 helpful votes
2. Re: Questions on Renting Car in Los Angeles (LAX) -DUI on Record
Save

I'd contact the companies directly and ask these questions. Fox's request for an international driver's license seems strange; perhaps, they meant an international driver's permit which is a simple document that translates licenses that aren't in English into English so that emergency personnel can read the info.

As far as whether your DUI will be found out, I'd call the LOCAL OFFICES of the various rent a car agencies at LAX and ask. I'll get you started. These companies can pick up and drop off customers at LAX:

Advantage www.advantage.com (310) 846-0004

Alamo www.alamo.com (310) 649-2242

Avis www.avis.com (310) 646-5600

Budget www.budget.com (310) 642-4500

Dollar www.dollar.com (310) 645-9333

Enterprise www.enterprise.com (310) 649-5400

Hertz www.hertz.com (310) 645-7001

Fox www.foxrentacar.com (310) 641-3838

Payless www.paylesscarrental.com (310) 645-2100

National www.nationalcar.com (310) 338-8200

Thrifty www.thrifty.com (310) 641-1533

Some of these numbers may have changed. Here is a link to the current list of rent a car offices near LAX along with their phone numbers (which might be the national 'customer service' numbers rather than the local numbers. Local people would be able to tell you more accurately what's going on, imo):

http://www.lawa.org/tenantLAXResult.aspx?airport=4&category=82&catname=CAR%20RENTAL&sindicator=fl

There are other companies that CANNOT pick up at the airport but that still serve LAX. Google "LAX rent a car" and find them. (Contact them for transfer info).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
23 reviews
98 helpful votes
3. Re: Questions on Renting Car in Los Angeles (LAX) -DUI on Record
Save

There have been so many horror stories on the California forum about Fox that I'd be very hesitant to rent from them, regardless of your specific circumstances.

In California I'm pretty sure there is a law that requires your specific permission and signature for anyone to access your driving record. (Because it includes your address and once, years ago, some stalker was able to find a starlets home address by getting her DMV record.) So I would also read the fine print about the rental companies policy for pulling DMV records. (This law may be specific to California DMV, I don't recall the particulars.)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
22,071 posts
127 reviews
70 helpful votes
4. Re: Questions on Renting Car in Los Angeles (LAX) -DUI on Record
Save

Car rental places dont check your driving record.

5. Re: Questions on Renting Car in Los Angeles (LAX) -DUI on Record

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 17:18
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.