We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day -too busy for Disneyland? Should I change plans

Sydney
Level Contributor
635 posts
27 reviews
Memorial Day -too busy for Disneyland? Should I change plans

We will be in LA for Memorial Day (Mon 28 May), and I'm wondering if this is a really busy day for tourist attractions? We had planned Disneyland for that Monday but I'm now worried it will be ridiculously busy, and wonder if we're better off changing our plans to see something else in LA.

Are restaurants, bars, shops etc all open on Memorial Day?

What are your thoughts?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,550 posts
262 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day -too busy for Disneyland? Should I change plans

Memorial Day always has big sales in all the stores, so yes, everything will be open. In the U.S., it is the summer kick-off. Because of that, it seems that everyone is at the beaches and in parks, firing up the charcoal grills for hamburgers and hotdogs!

But I'm sure Disneyland will be very crowded, too, as it is a 3 day weekend. If you can change your plan and go on Tuesday, that would be much better.

LA is about an hour away from Anaheim, where Disneyland is located.

Sydney
Level Contributor
635 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Day -too busy for Disneyland? Should I change plans

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, it's either memorial day (Monday) or nothing, do we are weighing up if the crowds will make the trip to Disneyland still worth it (given the time to get there plus expense) or if the crowds will be so big we should give Disneyland a miss? I guess no one can answer this for us, but advice is appreciated!

Are restaurants and bars extra crowded on the Sunday and Monday nights? Will we need reservations? And do places charge an additional surcharge on holidays?

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,550 posts
262 reviews
3. Re: Memorial Day -too busy for Disneyland? Should I change plans

If it's Memorial Day or nothing, I would go. Get there as soon as DL opens and get the fast passes (or whatever they are called).

Restaurants and bars could be extra crowded Sunday night because it is a holiday weekend. Monday, no, because most people have to go back home for work the next day. You should probably make a reservation for a restaurant if you really want to go to a specific one. Lots of good restaurants are closed Mondays.

I've never heard of additional surcharges on holidays.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
565 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Memorial Day -too busy for Disneyland? Should I change plans

I'm with ddffpp, if it's memorial day or nothing I'd go. I'm a season pass holder, and just went on Easter Sunday, and surprisingly, DL was not very crowded, so you never know, maybe DL won't be so bad on Monday. And yes, do get there in time so you can enter the park at 8 a.m. if possible.

5. Re: Memorial Day -too busy for Disneyland? Should I change plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2013, 21:21