We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day events... what to do

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
7 reviews
Memorial Day events... what to do

Travelling through LA on Memorial Day, staying in Santa Monica and we are wondering what events are on around the Santa Monica area for Memorial Day?

From Australia we regularly take part in our traditional Returned Servicemen events (ANZAC Day) and feel privileged to be in the US on Memorial Day. I am sure the traditions are very different to those here in Sydney, and I am keen to celebrate in this annual tradition.

Open to your suggestions for locations throughout LA and particular events.

Rancho Santa...
Level Contributor
8,738 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day events... what to do

L.A. is a less than ideal location for these kinds of events. Being a major hub of the media world, you'll encounter a lot of hostility and indifference. Very unfortunate.

See what is going on at the Reagan Museum. I am sure they will do something dignified to honor those who have fallen for freedom.

HTH

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
16,035 posts
58 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Day events... what to do

Unfortunately most events going on on Memorial Day have little to do with the intended purpose of the holiday or the military, and a lot more to do with people having the day off of work and it being the unofficial start of summer.

If you are interested in doing something related to the military etc., you might want to try to attend the events at the Los Angeles National Cemetary located on Sepulveda Blvd. near UCLA. I've been trying to Google for information on what might be going on there that day and at what time - so far I haven't been able to find any details but usually there is an American flag placed in front of as many grave markers as possible and a ceremony as well.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
3. Re: Memorial Day events... what to do

There is always a great program at the Los Angeles Veterans Cemetery (Wilshire @ 405). The last several years it was hosted by Jon Voight with many other celebrities being part of the program. It honors the military and is very patriotic. I agree with the previous posts that Los Angeles is not exactly the place for flag waving... it seems to have gone out of style, but the Veterans Cemetery program on Memorial Day is a nice oasis.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
4. Re: Memorial Day events... what to do

There is always a great program at the Los Angeles Veterans Cemetery (Wilshire @ 405). The last several years it was hosted by Jon Voight with many other celebrities being part of the program. It honors the military and is very patriotic. I agree with the previous posts that Los Angeles is not exactly the place for flag waving... it seems to have gone out of style, but the Veterans Cemetery program on Memorial Day is a nice oasis.

Edited: 25 May 2011, 07:08
5. Re: Memorial Day events... what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 13:18