We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog beaches

8 posts
Dog beaches

Hi all, me and the wife decided to go to Barmouth today, 5/7/13. We decided to take our dogs on the beach as a treat. We were told by the life guards that we couldn't walk across the normal beach to get to the dog beach even tho both dogs were on leads!!!! And it was a short distance of no more 100 meters! Once we managed to get onto the dog beach " the long way around".......!!!!!

Me and the wife were throwing the ball in to the sea for the dogs, up came the life guards who explained we couldn't play with the dogs there even tho we where more than 200 metres onto the dog beach!!!!!!!. The life guard promptly explain you need to move or get a fine.

God knows why !!! But I've been going to Barmouth since I was born, sone of my family live there both my parents are from the town!!

But since this has happened I think I'll be giving it a miss from may until September when this stupid rule apparently applies!!!!. But my advice to any with a dog/s DON'T go to Barmouth go some where else were there dog friendly!!!

england
Level Contributor
13 posts
82 reviews
21. Re: Dog beaches

Just back from talybont about 3 miles north of Barmouth, dogs all over the beaches there with no problems we could see. People cleaned up any mess and our grandchildren loved the dogs playing frisbee with them

Barmouth, United...
1 post
1 review
22. Re: Dog beaches

They are not lifeguards, they are beach wardens employed by Gwynedd council whose job it is to make sure that the beach is to be enjoyed by the majority " It is aimed at ensuring the safety and pleasure of the majority who would wish to use the beach for sunbathing and swimming or similar seaside leisure activities."

you must take into consideration some people do not like dogs, due to phobias or past bad experiences with them. Also there has been so many owners who let their dogs foul on the beach and not clean up that this law has stopped the majority of this happening.

Shropshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
23. Re: Dog beaches

Do any of these beaches allow the dogs off lead? We want to take our puppy/dog to the beach for the first time but want to run her around so she sleeps in the car! Seems pointless walking her on the beach if she can't play in the sea 😊

Derby, United...
2 posts
1 review
24. Re: Dog beaches

can you take dogs on barmouth beach In may post code ll421na

Machynlleth, United...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
5 reviews
25. Re: Dog beaches

Not answering you specific question, as don't know Barmouth so well

But if you take the train (it's a long way round by car, but minutes on the train) to Tywyn,

south from there are THREE MILES of sandy beach where dogs can run all the way to Aberdyfi if they want to.

I've walked the whole three miles barefoot - how many places in the UK can you do that?

dorking
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
26. Re: Dog beaches

Thanks we are looking to holiday in that area, obviously we won't rent a place in Barmouth then, we'll look at the lake district instead.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
27. Re: Dog beaches

That makes no sense. #25 tells you exactly where to stay in the area if you want to take your dog on the beach. Not go to a completely different part of the UK that isn't exactly famous for its beaches anyway.

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
28. Re: Dog beaches

We live in Barmouth and there is plenty of space to walk dogs all a year round and it's well signposted - Barmouth is a very dog friendly town

29. Re: Dog beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2018, 08:18
Get answers to your questions about Barmouth