We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barmouth Harbour

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Barmouth Harbour

Hi All, we (2 adults, 2 young kids) are staying in Barmouth in June and will be within walking distance from Barmouth Harbour. Would the following be possible:

1) Catch a ferry from Barmouth Harbour across to the Fairbourne side.

2) Ride the Fairbourne railway down to Fairbourne station

3) Ride the Fairbourne railway back up to the ferry port in Fairbourne

4) Catch the ferry back up to Barmouth Harbour

If so, are tickets easily available on the day, is it possible to pre-book? Also how often do the ferries and trains run? Finally is their anything else I need to be aware of.

If this is not possible I will have to drive all the way round and back again, which I rather not do.

Thanks is advance!

5 replies to this topic
Warwickshire...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Barmouth Harbour

You could always catch the Arriva Wales train or walk over Barmouth Bridge one way and catch the Fairbourne Railway and Ferry the other

I would have thought tickets would only be available on the day

Its a long drive round by car

Ps when in Barmouth you should go on the Panorama Walk for superb views

Barmouth, United...
3 posts
2. Re: Barmouth Harbour

The ferries run throughout the day as needed - they aren’t timetabled. Fairbourne Railway times are on their website www.fairbournerailway.com.

Birmingham, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Barmouth Harbour

Thanks for the info.

Shrewsbury, United...
1 post
4. Re: Barmouth Harbour

Ferries run all day up until about 8,you can also go on a trip into the old harbour which is worth a look.

Wales
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Barmouth Harbour

If your children can manage an almost flat walk I would really recommend the walk from Barmouth to Morfa Mawddach rail station over the wood railway bridge as it has some of the finest views in Wales. Distance is about 1.6 miles should take you 40 mins. You then have a choice 1) a flat walk to the coast 1 mile then turn left for Fairbourne another flat mile. 2) Catch train for the 4 min journey to Fairbourne. The south going Arriva Wales trains Dept Barmouth at 0850, 1059, 1255, 1455 & from Morfa Mawddach at 0854, 1103, 1259, 1459.

If you decide to use the ferry first & then the steam train to,Fairbourne be aware that at low tide the ferries dept (& arrive) from the stone jetty which you will see is to the west end of the harbour, otherwise the ferries put in to the more accesable steps in the main part of the harbour.

Dave

Reply to: Barmouth Harbour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barmouth