We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holyhead - Barmouth

galway
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Holyhead - Barmouth

Hi Folks

What is the most scenic drive between the two towns.

3 replies to this topic
Newtown, United...
Level Contributor
691 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Holyhead - Barmouth

It really depends what looking for, how long a drive you want and if you want to stop on the way. Two main routes are a. caernafon - harlech - barmouth b. Betws y coed - harlech barmouth. A. Is the shortest route and you get to see caernafon and harlech castles. B. Is by far the prettiest route - llanberis pass is lovely, betws a good stopping place the route over to blaenau is lovely and you get harlech castle as well. Withe both routes make sure you stop at the menai straits. If you want more then just let me know.

Edited: 12 May 2017, 06:34
London, United...
Level Contributor
619 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Holyhead - Barmouth

Thats right. Go first through the mountains and then along the coast and you cant go wrong. The A487 from Caernarfon to Porthmadog is not very scenic. The A470 from Ffestiniog to Dolgellau is not very scenic. So the only choice is which way through the mountains. I think I would go via Llanberis and Beddgelert myself, but it doesnt matter much.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,659 posts
478 reviews
3. Re: Holyhead - Barmouth

I second the route via Llanberis, Beddgelert and Harlech. That is the most scenic, in my opinion.

Reply to: Holyhead - Barmouth
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Barmouth