We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from LV to Sedona and back

1 post
1 review
Driving from LV to Sedona and back
Save

We are planning a round trip drive from Las Vegas to Sedona in April 2022. Any thoughts??

3 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving from LV to Sedona and back
Save

Are you saying you are doing this as a day trip? or how many days do you have for Sedona? How far/long do you like to hike? April will be a zoo in Sedona :)

I would add the Grand Canyon South Rim which is a must see place.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
17,945 posts
53 reviews
101 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving from LV to Sedona and back
Save

We usually leave Las Vegas timed to be in the lovely old mountainside old mning town of Jerome for lunch. Where the road makes a sharp right by the fire station you can go left for lots of free parking. Then eat and look around for a short time, and then visit the ancient pueblo ruins at Tuzigoot N.M. at the foot of the mountain if we have any visitors with us. Then it's a short drive to Sedona. We take US93 (or whatever part of it has been relabeled as an interstate highway) to Kingman, then I-40 east to Ash Springs, and then Hwy 89 south toward Prescott. Just before Prescott US89A wil take you over Mingus Mountain to Jerome. Before ascending the mountain, watch for pronghorn antelope.

When returning, take US89A to I-17 to I-40 east and then US89 north. This will take you to Cameron where you take the road through Grand Canyon National Park. Make the mile or so detour north from that junction and visit Cameron Trading Post. The restaurant has good food, you can buy gas, and there is a large gift shop. We always take their food or get sandwiches there for the national park. From the East Entrance there are many places to pull over for views of the canyon. We now always skip the first large one as it is too crowded. At Grandview Point there is a trail down into the canyon. We hike down it 50-100 vertical feet, and you are now IN the canyon, a completely dfferent experience than being on the rim. It's peaceful and quiet and you'll be alone, just sit down somewhere and eat that lunch you brought with you and enjoy the experience. We do not stop at the crowded Village but just continue on the highway to Williams and I-40 back toward Las Vegas. You should experience enough of the Grand Canyon this way, although you also might like to stay in it for a night to also experience the affects of sunrise and sunset on the colors of the canyon walls.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
78,587 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving from LV to Sedona and back
Save

It’s not a day trip, if that’s what you’re asking.

Reply to: Driving from LV to Sedona and back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sedona
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.