We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedona/Grand Canyon itinerary help

New York City, New...
3 posts
Sedona/Grand Canyon itinerary help
Save

We (2 adults and 2 "kids", 20 and 22) are planning on flying from New York to Phoenix on Memorial Day 2022. We are thinking of spending 3 nights in Sedona, 1 night in Flagstaff, 1 night at Grand Canyon, then 2 nights in Las Vegas before flying home. This is our first trip to the Southwest and we can't wait. I wish we could have gone a few weeks earlier in the spring for better weather but Memorial Day weekend is the first time we are all available. I was trying to avoid the busy weekend and arrive in Sedona on Memorial Day late afternoon (is this still too early?). Can you please help me with the itinerary for the Sedona and Grand Canyon portion of the trip? This is a very tentative first itinerary. I would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Day 1 (Mon) - arrive in Phoenix at 10:30 am, pick up rental car, lunch, buy supplies in Anthem, drive to Sedona (stop at Tonto Bridge or Prescott or Jerome?) Stay in West Sedona for 3 nights (considering Sedona Real). Would it be worth staying at Enchantment Resort for one night and two at Sedona Real?

Days 2 and 3 (Tues and Wed) - Sedona. These sights/activities are on our list: Cathedral Rock, Red Rock Crossing, Bell Rock, go on scenic drives, Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Tour (what time is best at the beginning of June - 5 pm or morning?), Devil's Bridge hike in morning, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Tlaquepaque, watch sunset, stargazing, Oak Creek Canyon/Slide Rock State Park.

Day 4 (Thurs) - drive to Flagstaff (maybe early hike in Sedona), Meteor Crater, explore Flagstaff, overnight in Flagstaff (Little America). Would it be worth going to the Grand Canyon for just a couple of hours on that day?

Day 5 (Fri) - leave Flagstaff early and drive to GC South Rim (was thinking of entering via east entrance and leaving via Tusayan entrance), spend night at Yavapai Lodge (only option available at the moment but I understand it's better than staying in Tusayan).

Day 6 (Sat) - maybe mule ride for kids, leave GC late morning, drive to Williams (lunch) - Route 66 stops in Seligman and/or Kingman - drive to Las Vegas via Hoover Dam (walk Memorial Bridge) - return car - overnight in Vegas

Day 7 (Sun) - Las Vegas

Day 8 (Mon) - fly back to NY

Sorry this post is so long. Thank you so much for your help!

4 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,736 posts
26 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Sedona/Grand Canyon itinerary help
Save

I longed to go to Meteor Crater from my childhood years after seeing the Viewmasetr reel.. How cool . Finally got there a few years ago. .Do stop at Winslow and stand on the corner of Eagles tune fame, but skip the crater.... find an old Viewmaster reel and save the gas

Edited: 24 October 2021, 08:13
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Pinetop-Lakeside
Level Contributor
11,454 posts
497 reviews
237 helpful votes
2. Re: Sedona/Grand Canyon itinerary help
Save

Tonto Bridge is located near Payson - not on your route to Sedona.

Since you have an early arrival at the airport you could drive through Prescott and Jerome on your way to Sedona. That wouldn't give you a lot of time to explore either community so depending upon your interests, you might want to plan more time for each.

I rarely recommend breaking up a trip by changing hotels. Enchantment Resort can be expensive but commands their expense on many levels. It sounds like you want to do a lot of exploring so "don't break the bank" if you aren't going to stay and enjoy all that the resort has to offer its guests.

day 4 - consider visiting Wupatki and Sunset Crater Volcano national monuments instead of a trip to GC this day. The two national monuments are on a loop and take about 3 hours to enjoy. Grand Canyon is a long day trip from Flagstaff.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
78,587 posts
224 reviews
229 helpful votes
3. Re: Sedona/Grand Canyon itinerary help
Save

There is no point in splitting hotels on a 3 night stay at Sedona.

Your Sedona list is crammed already. I would use I-17 to 260 to 89A. If you arrive Cottonwood and still have time to spare, detour to Jerome. You’ll need at least 3 hours

New York City, New...
3 posts
4. Re: Sedona/Grand Canyon itinerary help
Save

Thank you for all your suggestions - very helpful!

Reply to: Sedona/Grand Canyon itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sedona
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.