We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see with one day in Prescott

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
What to see with one day in Prescott

Hi, my 89 year old dad is looking at moving to Prescott and we're going to be there for one day. Besides the Central Courthouse area, what can you recommend that we see so he gets the best quick "feel" for the city in such a short visit?

He keeps also mentioning Prescott Valley but I don't know the pros and cons of living there vs Prescott itself.

Just as a data point, one of the reasons he's thinking of moving there is that they have a VA hospital. We live in Scottsdale but he doesn't want to live in this area because he doesn't like the summertime heat. Thanks for any tips to help us plan the trip!

7 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
7,062 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: What to see with one day in Prescott

You should talk to a realtor regarding the "pros and cons" of each area.

Jerome, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Jerome
Level Contributor
239 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: What to see with one day in Prescott

I would let what he likes to do drive your activities/things to look at. For example, does he like to fish? Prescott has several nice small lakes that are regularly stocked with fish. Take a drive out to Lynx lake or Granite Basin. Interested in cars? Look online and find a local enthusiast group to reach out to. The Prescott square is lovely and has a high activity level from locals dog walking all day long. I could see that someone might go down for coffee in the morning and sit on a bench to people watch. The main branch of the library is near downtown Prescott as well. Check out Sharlot Hall Museum, 2 blocks off the downtown square---a good way to get a sense of place.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: What to see with one day in Prescott

Thanks!

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
13 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: What to see with one day in Prescott

Thanks for the tip.

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: What to see with one day in Prescott

You could drive from I17 into Prescott. You will pass through Prescott Valley. It has lots of shops and places like Costco, Trader Joe's and so on. Prescott seems to have more older homes near the Courthouse. One building on Cortez was built in 1907-still in use. There are some lovely homes on I think Virginia Street.

If he's going to be using the VA, Prescott would be closer and more convenient.

I agree that there are many people walking around the Courthouse or attending events there. The library is in the same area. It has a nice sitting area, and a small coffee shop (short hours, short menu).

There is also an Adult Center. He may find some of their events interesting. It may be a good source of information too.http://www.adultcenter.org/?t=Adult-Center-of-Prescott-Event-Center&p=1664229771551ef2de019b5

tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: What to see with one day in Prescott

The Sharlot Hall Museum complex is well worth a visit.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,134 posts
250 reviews
7. Re: What to see with one day in Prescott

Visit the Granite Dells and Watson Lake, just north of town.

Reply to: What to see with one day in Prescott
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Prescott