We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Mahwah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
Malaria
Save

Hi all going to a game lodge in Hoedspruit for 2 nights decided not to take my malaria pills for possible side effects am I taking a big chance in contracting Malaria or very small? Sprayed my clothing with bug repellant and will be using bug repellant. Thank you Mark

7 replies to this topic
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
1. Re: Malaria
Save

You didn't say what month of the year. This makes a significantly big difference. Although at any time of the year malaria risk is pretty low.. So without that information any response is pretty irrelevant. You also need to indicate were you are staying. Probably not in Hoedspruit town?

Edited: 2 years ago
Aberdeenshire...
Level Contributor
305 posts
139 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Malaria
Save

The malaria question oftens pops up on various forums. I don't want this to come across in a bad way but I think it is best if you take advice from a doctor.

But fwiw............

I always take malaria medication when and where it's advised. I also cover up at dawn and dusk. Spray with Tabard or Peaceful sleep etc. I did have side effects with a couple of different malaria medications in the past but now use Malarone or it's generic. I take it in a morning after breakfast and with a glass of milk, this was on doctors advice, and have no side effects this way. The first time I used Malarone i did a dummy run at home to see if I felt any side effects, my thinking was, better to find out at home rather than on holiday.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip, keep safe and well.

Europe
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
30 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Malaria
Save

Time of the year is key in assessing "how big a chance". Take a look at this page:

https://www.santhnet.co.za/travel-health-advice-for-travellers-to-south-africa-september-to-may/

Mahwah, New Jersey
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Malaria
Save

Today and tomorrow.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Malaria
Save

If today and tomorrow then it's too late to be taking malaria medication anyway as you need to start taking it 2 days before you enter the area. It sounds like you're taking precautions though, wearing long sleeved/legged clothes between dusk and dawn will also help minimise.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
15,613 posts
324 reviews
865 helpful votes
6. Re: Malaria
Save

Time of year and time of day is important as well.

As mentioned by vnrose; taking a dose at hone prior to travel, provides an opportunity to determine if YOU will have side effects.

FYI - In order to get Malaria. You must be bitten by a Female Anopheline mosquito that has previously bitten someone who currently has malaria.

Mosquitos are NOT born with malaria.

Since you posted that you currently have medication. Did you read the instructions, which would have revealed that it was already to late to take them?

Why wait until you are in the area to ask about the risk/potential hazard?

Edited: 2 years ago
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
390 reviews
128 helpful votes
7. Re: Malaria
Save

Today and tomorrow!! Woah! Talk about leaving it till the 11th hour. Yeah mate, way too late to start taking medication. Just stick to what you're doing & am sure you'll be fine.

Reply to: Malaria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hoedspruit
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.