We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 Day Safari Suggestions

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
29 helpful votes
4-5 Day Safari Suggestions

We are 4 adults (2 couples) looking to book a fairly last minute South African safari (April 23-27). Following a few days in Cape Town, we plan to travel to and spend 4-5 nights in the Greater Kruger area before flying out of JBurg. With 4-5 nights, we are hoping that is enough to split our time between two Safari parks. Thinking about 1 camp in Timbavati (Karongwe Portfolio Lodge? or maybe Simbavati Hilltop Lodge?) and then another in an area with a fairly easy (<2 hour transfer) as to not miss a game drive. Is it a good idea to transfer with this short of a trip? If so, any suggestions on how to set up the trip to get as different of an experience as possible. Our budget is loose, but anticipate average spend anywhere from $500-$1000/night/room, and we are not locked into any particular locations. Thanks so much!

2 replies to this topic
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: 4-5 Day Safari Suggestions

its Pretty easy to transfer between lodges and you won’t have to miss a game drive.

Are you going 4 nights so 2 + 2?

It is quite a bit of moving but that would be up to you. it’s nice to relax at one place and then it can be nice to experience 2 different lodges.

Sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: 4-5 Day Safari Suggestions

I wouldn’t recommend Karongwe - it is not in Timbavati, it’s in a fenced reserve, not adjacent to Kruger. Simbavati is excellent, especially Hilltop lodge if in budget - but it’s much higher than your stated budget at R18500 per couple per night. River lodge is nice.

I always recommend 3 nights at private reserve lodges. With 5 nights, do 3/2 but if just 4 nights, stay at one lodge. 2 nights at 2 lodges will feel very rushed at both. An exception might be the Idube/Lukimbi combo - the sister lodges will make the transfer very easy but I still prefer at least three nights per lodge. Above budget too. https://idube.com/book-online/promotions/

Breakfast is over by 10am and the afternoon game drive is around 4pm (get there by 3) at that time of year. So you have 5 hours for the transfer.

In your budget would be Senalala, Simbavati River (barely - and I’m not certain they have 2 rooms available for your dates), Bateleur Safari Camp, Honeyguide (really great stay 3 pay 2 special at Mantobeni), Shindzela, Kambaku Safari Lodge, Arathusa (barely), Nkorho, Umlani (good three night special). I checked a few and most have 2 rooms available. There are more but if any of those meet your needs, all will exceed your expectations.

There’s not a lot of difference in the ecosystems between the lodges. They’re similar. Only going pretty far would provide a significantly different experience. We visit the different ecosystems in KwaZulu Natal - we love the combo of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park vs the nearby game reserves like Tembe, Manyoni, Hluhluwe-iMfolozi. So if you want different experiences and ecosystems, I’d recommend 4-5 nights there instead of Kruger. A combo of Makakatana and Rhino Sands for 2 nights each would be pretty nice! Lots of ways to do it, lots of lodge options.

Reply to: 4-5 Day Safari Suggestions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hoedspruit
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.