We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is Hoedspruit airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
2 helpful votes
Which is Hoedspruit airport

Hi I arrived at Hoedspruit via South African airlink. Upon searching google map, I saw there is two airport in the town. One is east gate Hoedspruit airport, the one is Hoedspruit airport. Does anyone has any idea which airport is referring to the HDS airport where South Africa airlink/ airways arrived at?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
620 reviews
300 helpful votes
1. Re: Which is Hoedspruit airport

I think you might find they are the same airport. Hoedspruit is just a small town with a small airport, both civilian and military

HDS is Hoedspruit Eastgate airport

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: Which is Hoedspruit airport

There’s only one commercial airport.

Greater...
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
1 review
3. Re: Which is Hoedspruit airport

There is one airport, and it is an airforce base with one of the longest runways in the world.

It was designated as an emergency landing site for the Space Shuttles.

Because of available space, a civilian (commercial) facility was constructed as well.

Very little of the airforce base, if anything, is visible, as it is mainly situated in underground bunkers, away from the civilian facility.

The airport is actually "Hoedspruit Airforce Base" and the civilian facility is called "Eastgate Airport", coded HDS.

Edited: 4 years ago
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Which is Hoedspruit airport

“It was designated as an emergency landing site for the Space Shuttles.” - it’s one of my favorite things. Thanks for sharing again QOD1

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Which is Hoedspruit airport

There are 3 airports in Hoedspruit. One is military and the other two are commercial. The military and the Eastgate airport share the same main runways, but have two different terminal buildings.

The original Hoedspruit airport (airfield more apt) is still used commercially for small planes to safari lodges and other private flights. It is directly behind the Spar supermarket complex in the main town of Hoedspruit. https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Hoedspruit,+1380/@-24.3488509,30.9410993,2850m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x1ec306b27c0779cb:0xf95093ff3ec12a55!8m2!3d-24.346139!4d30.9732917

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Which is Hoedspruit airport

Re the space shuttle site . . . . .

In the early 70's we were told that Upington's new (secret) loooong runway was for the space shuttle. That airport was opened 1968 and the runway is close to 3 miles long (4900 meters). It still remains one of the world's longest hard-surfaced runways. 7th on the list. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_runways

The other shuttle airports are pretty long - landing at Upington would still be safer than Hoedspruit I guess. Quite a few other southern African airports have long runways on that list.

7. Re: Which is Hoedspruit airport

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Hoedspruit
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.