We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay near Hoedspruit Airport to visit KNP

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
Places to stay near Hoedspruit Airport to visit KNP
Save

Hi,

I read the difference between private and KNP safaris. This forum is quite amazing. I plan to experience both. I would land on Hoedspruit Airport on Sat. Do 2N at KNP and later 4N at private.

I think I already figured out the private safar thanks to this forumi. Waiting for reply from them. What are good options (USD200 per person) for staying outside of KNP (I guess the accommodation is better) and doing a day drive into KNP.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Places to stay near Hoedspruit Airport to visit KNP
Save

I stay in the park - I prefer being in the park each morning instead of driving to a gate, doing the entry requirements and having to leave before sunset. Assuming you are staying in Timbavati, Klaserie or Northern Sabi Sand, Satara is the nearest rest camp. Accommodations are basic but clean. Good enough restaurant and shops. And you get up and drive right out the gate into the bush.

I don’t recommend staying outside the park. There are no nearby hotels - it’s a long drive to the Orpen Gate from Hoedspruit. Wild Olive Tree Camp is the only lodge I’m aware of outside the gate.

Kuala Lumpur...
4 posts
2. Re: Places to stay near Hoedspruit Airport to visit KNP
Save

Hi thanks for the information. We have decided to extend our stay at Cape Town. Instead will spend the full 4N in one of the private safaries.

I have read reviews that says 3N is sufficient. Will 4N be too much and leave us bored?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
25 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Places to stay near Hoedspruit Airport to visit KNP
Save

4 nights will be nice

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Places to stay near Hoedspruit Airport to visit KNP
Save

As long as you have an intersst in wildlife and are happy to relax during the down time the lodges give you in the middle of the day, you shouldn't be bored. The game drives will take you to different parts of the lodges traversing areas and you never know what you will see since the wildlife moves around. But with 4 nights it will be worth finding a lodge with a larger traversing area if you think you might dislike seeing the same areas. During the day take a book or swim or use the communal space at the lodge.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
620 reviews
300 helpful votes
5. Re: Places to stay near Hoedspruit Airport to visit KNP
Save

Raymond, I too thought that when I first went to the Kruger area to a private reserve for 5 nights. I now know that I never get bored! Your lodge should know how long you stay and your guide, should make sure your drives are not repetitive

By the time you’re back and had breakfast, it’s probably after 10am. I like to have a swim, or read the books in the lounge. Sort out my photos. Go on social media, check my emails. Maybe have a snooze. Then I usually have a shower and it’s lunchtime. Only an hour or so after lunch and you’re out again. So there’s no time to be bored.

Edited: 4 years ago
6. Re: Places to stay near Hoedspruit Airport to visit KNP

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Hoedspruit
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.