We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Can anyone recommend a car rental company which provides pick-up in Newport and drop off at Cardiff Airport please?

Thanks in anticipation.

10 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,929 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Do you mean a one way car rental for touring , or private car transfer?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

I want to rent a car, pick it up in Newport & drop it off at Cardiff Airport. In terms of your question, I guess the answer is a one way car rental for touring.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
3. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Try Hertz, Avis, etc - all the majors will do it

Though depending on the one-way fee it may be cheaper to get a private hire transfer and pick up the car at the airport.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,929 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Check www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.visitbritain.com

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bedandbreakfastnationwide.com

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Hertz and Avis for sure.

I usually use Enterprise myself; they tend to be cheaper than the other majors but are more a network of individual businesses and aren't always happy about one-ways. Might be worth contacting them if you're after the best deal.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Thanks everyone.

John, I have sent an email to enterprise re one-way fees.

Nurioopta, I have tried auto-europe and, surprisingly, they say there are no vehicles available for my dates (12 June to 16 June) for Newport pick-up and Cardiff Airport drop-off. I even tried a drop-off at a downtown Cardiff office without success.

I have found a good deal thru www.driveaway.com.au who use Hertz or Europcar. I'm trying to get some feedback on the company. If they seem OK, I'll book thru them.

Any comments on www.driveaway.com.au would be appreciated.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Ignore Nurioopta - he or she always spams Auto-Europe on every car hire thread.

Frankly you should ignore third party sites as you don't get the car any cheaper than booking direct, and most importantly they don't include the one-way charge in their figures (you will see that they contact you after the booking to notify you of this). This is despite asking you if you wish a one-way hire.

Stick to the major companies that have a presence in Newport. Many of them will pick you up and take you to their depot to complete paperwork.

The target price for something like a Ford Focus or VW Golf should be £15 - £25 a day excluding one-way hire.

Be aware that whilst there is comprehensive cover the excess can range from £500 - £1000. The hire companies will try and sell you a policy to cover this but they cost £10 - £15 a day. A third party policy will be significantly cheaper (I pay about £40 for an annual policy).

You still have plenty of time to shop around as car hire pricing isn't like airline pricing and companies will often have special offers. Rates seem to stay static for about a month and then there is a change around. I often find that if one company has increased prices another has reduced them. I typically book between 1 day in advance and a week in advance and still get great rates (although I wouldn't suggest you leave it so late as you are coming half way across the world).

Booking via a cashback website (Quidco in the UK) is also a good idea. I get 11% back if I book with Europcar.

Driveaway you mention DON'T include the one-way hire charge (nor do Auto-Europe).

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Hi John.

Thanks for your advice. I actually phoned driveaway (they are in Sydney) to enquire about one-way fees. The companies they use from Newport are Hertz & Europcar. Driveaway said they don't charge one-way fees and I confirmed this on the Hertz & Europcar web sites.

Driveaway have an earlybird offer (to 31 March) of a Renault Megane which would cost us $167.56 (~£110 for 4 days). Their price for a Vauxhall Corsa is $170.86 (~£112). The price of a Corsa directly from Hertz UK is £125.06.

Having written the above, I have just checked Hertz' Aust web site & the cost of a Corsa is £90.86. I have phoned them and there is no one-way fee. It seems like a no-brainer to choose Hertz Oz.

I had eliminated auto-europe.co.uk because it says they don't have anything meeting my criteria. Interestingly, however, their Australian site has good prices ($130.75 = £85.66 for Corsa) but it I would need to check on one-way fees.

Fortunately, my credit card covers me for any excess on CDW & theft.

I tried Quidco (thanks for the suggestion) and their deal thru Europcar after cashback would be $177.36 (£116.20) for a Corsa incl one-way fees.

So after all that, it seems I'll go with Hertz Oz.

Thanks all for your help.

Dublin
Level Contributor
281 posts
126 reviews
9. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Just for the avoidance of doubt, do you mean Newport Gwent (Casnewydd) and not Newport Pembs (Trefdraeth) or another Newport?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff

Gwent

Reply to: Car Rental - Newport to Cardiff
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newport