We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches near Ashburton

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
beaches near Ashburton

Hi can anyone let me know what beaches are near Ashburton for a walk? and also the nearest beaches which are safe to swim? many thanks

6 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: beaches near Ashburton

Why are you going to Ashburton? It is just a rural service town. I am fairly sure there are no accessible beaches, you will need to go to Timaru (Caroline Bay) 70 km south for a swim or north to Christchurch

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: beaches near Ashburton

we have a job opportunity there so was just interested in what would be around us.

3. Re: beaches near Ashburton

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,619 posts
214 reviews
107 helpful votes
4. Re: beaches near Ashburton

#1 is correct, Ashburton is a rural service centre surrounded by dairy farms. There are a couple of large meatworks and dairy factories near by. The Canterbury plain is the largest piece of flat and in NZ and Ashburton is smack in the centre of it. It is quite away from the coast but the nearest beach you can swim in will be in Christchurch as Caroline Bay in Timaru is fine for getting toddlers used to the water, but not much else.

Several braided rivers (wide, fast and shallow between gravel) flow to the sea near by. The Rangitata and the Ram is. Great for Salmon fishing, but dairying has depleted the water quality. There are few tributaries safe for your dog to swim in.

The river mouths are quite dangerous.

We took our caravan to the campground at the mouth of the Rangatata for a few days ONCE. It seemed like we were there a lot longer The people were friendly but if you weren't into fishing or whitebaiting it was difficult to get into a conversation! I'm not really into banjo music.

Ashburton was one of the areas that, way back, was "dry" or alcohol free. When the prohibition was listed the Licencing Trust controlled or the pubs etc. Establishment ran on a formulae with facilities designed by draftperson only allowed to use a ruler and a square on graph paper. Despite our laws changing significantly, Ashburton (known locally as Ash Vegas) has not gotten over those days. McDonald's or KFC is as close was you will get to an interesting place to drink.

I don't know any non fisher that been to that area for a holiday, but it's probably a nice enough place to live. It is a place with a labour shortage. When Christchurch had its earthquakes my employer agreed I could commute from there to Christchurch. Probably more a measure of how desperate we were than how nice Ashburton is.

It is however closer than Christchurch to a few ski fields

Oz
Level Contributor
18,996 posts
41 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: beaches near Ashburton

Hi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icWkyedURkM

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
17,619 posts
214 reviews
107 helpful votes
6. Re: beaches near Ashburton

Have been a few places that thought that film was a documentary 🙄 Ashburton not quite in that category.

Reply to: beaches near Ashburton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ashburton
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.