We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendenhall glacier

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
25 reviews
18 helpful votes
Mendenhall glacier
Save

Hi! I will be traveling to see the glacier with some friends and we would love to walk on actually touch the glacier. However everyone in the group is not the fittest, so was looking for the easiest way to get to the glacier, not just view from the park. I saw there was a Canoe tour but, was hoping to find one less strenuous so that everyone in my party could enjoy. Any thoughts or recommendations?

4 replies to this topic
fti
Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
38 reviews
101 helpful votes
1. Re: Mendenhall glacier
Save

Probably a helicopter tour would be best. Not cheap but likely the best option.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
11,235 posts
2. Re: Mendenhall glacier
Save

You can fly up to the glacier: https://temscoair.com/juneau-tours/

California
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Mendenhall glacier
Save

A very cheap option is at the Visitor Center! The rangers try to have a piece of ice to touch for visitors in the lobby.

Not the same as the canoe, hiking or helicopter tours, but my kids loved it before they were old enough for a more strenuous activity.

(BTW, if some want a more active tour, I highly recommend the canoe glacier trek with ABAK. Fabulous experience! )

California
Level Contributor
81 posts
25 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Mendenhall glacier
Save

Thanks everyone

Reply to: Mendenhall glacier
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Juneau
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.