We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki or Vomo?

Titirangi, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
11 helpful votes
Aitutaki or Vomo?

Hi

My husband and I are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary at the end of this year and are looking to travel to a tropical location to celebrate. We would like to travel October or November for 5-7 nights.

We are considering Vomo Fiji or Aitutaki but we are getting mixed comments about Aitutaki. Can anyone who has been there recently suggest which part of the island is best to stay at? We have heard that the snorkelling, swimming outside Pacific Resort isn’t very good, muddy and a lot of sea slugs. But photos I have seen online of Aitutaki are absolutely stunning.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Elise

6 replies to this topic
Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
39 reviews
57 helpful votes
1. Re: Aitutaki or Vomo?

Hi Elise P

With regard to the swimming and snorkelling it can get a bit shallow at low tide but its ok for a couple of hours ether side of high tide. There is enough marine life to keep you occupies for a couple of hours and the coral was looking very healthy when we were there. There are a lot of sea slugs most of them along the waters edge but when you get past them it's not too bad. If you click on the the link below there are photos and videos of the Pacific Resort and the snarling.

I answered a post about the Pacific Resort Aitutaki a while ago so I have copied my reply below.

"We spent out 50 wedding anniversary at the Pacific Resort Aitutaki and can’t rate the resort highly enough. If you can get one of the Premium Beachfront Bungalow that number 101 to 113 they are right on the beach just steps away ocean. They provide snorkelling equipment (but we prefer to take our own) and the marine life is varied.

The food is excellent especially at the Rapae Bay Restaurant & if you prefer a bit more casual you can get food at the Black Rock bar. The views from the Rapae Bay Restaurant overlook the ocean and the sunsets are spectacular and romantic."

I have uploaded a few photos and videos of out stay that you can see by clicking the link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_misty/albums/72157710388610696/

Auckland Central...
1 post
2. Re: Aitutaki or Vomo?

Hi Elise,

My partner and I have been to Aitutaki couple of times now. March 2023 our last trip.... We tend to stay away from the tourist hot spots as we both like the simple life... We stayed at the Paradise cove which is further up towards the airport from the Pacific Resort. The swimming there was magnificent. No slugs and bountiful sea life for snorkeling.... For even better fun, head to the point off the end of the unused runway where the cable comes ashore. I've not been to Fiji so can't comment on any choices but the cook islands are so nice... My partner and I are heading there again in April 2024 to make final preparations for our wedding in September 2024. You will not be disappointed with your stay in beautiful Aitutaki....

Titirangi, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
11 helpful votes
3. Re: Aitutaki or Vomo?

Thanks so much for your reply and the photos. It looks lovely!

Titirangi, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Aitutaki or Vomo?

Thanks for your reply Trev. We will take your recommendations into consideration!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
97 posts
123 reviews
47 helpful votes
5. Re: Aitutaki or Vomo?

We actually are going to Aitutaki in September and staying in the overwater bungalow. We went to Fiji 5 years ago and the reefs were absolutely incredible. I would say The Red Sea and Fiji have been our most favorite reef spots so far.

Titirangi, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
11 helpful votes
6. Re: Aitutaki or Vomo?

That's really helpful thanks. Enjoy your holiday in September!

Reply to: Aitutaki or Vomo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.