We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!

Auckland
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
23 helpful votes
Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Hi everyone,

We are getting married in mid March in NZ and keen to go somewhere warm and good for snorkelling for a few days for our honeymoon thereafter.

We would love to go to Aitutaki for the trip, but am just wondering about the weather at this time of year. Can anyone shed any light on the weather at this time? Would you recommend going here then?

Alternatively, if anyone has any other places in the Pacific they'd recommend for this time, I'd be very grateful. Thankyou!

10 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,654 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
1. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Kia Orana TajGirl, welcome to the Aitutaki forum.

In all honesty, it is hard to predict the weather anywhere on the planet due to climate change. March is one of those months when it could be hot and sunny, or a rain cloud could move across.

I say go for your honeymoon to Aitutaki. It is a most beautiful island, with a magnificent lagoon area. When you are snorkelling you won't even notice a drop of rain fall. And when on a honeymoon go with island time. Do nothing or undertake an activity. Snorkel off the beach in front of Tamamnu Beach resort, or go up to the beach close to Marine Resources by scooter or cycle. A lagoon cruise will be best to select a good deep water spot. Kayak off Ootu point, SUP also alongside Aitutaki Village.

The beauty of the Cook Islands is great choices for accommodation, NZD as currency, delicious fresh produce and fish on Aitutaki. And being south of Tonga and those nations closer to the equator we aren't baked to a crisp by the heat of the sun over summer.

Air NZ has daily flights from Auckland, with the main Dreamliner flight landing early afternoon. Smaller Neos either side of the main landing. With the Dreamliner you have sufficient time to transfer to the Air Raro counter and be on your way to Aitutaki the same day.

All the best deciding which honeymoon destination is ideal for you. Kia manuia.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

In our experience, the Cook Islands are at their best in Spring and autumn. Aitutaki is Wonderful, very quiet, not too touristy. Stay on the Sunset side if you can. There are private rentals, no need to splash out on a resort. Take some food from home as it can be a bit hit and miss getting less common items. Have a great trip!

Auckland
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Thankyou so much to Frangipani08 and Angela M for your insights. We are definitely leaning towards Aitutaki as our choice of honeymoon.

Do you have any tips on choosing accomadation for the time? Any part of the island that would be better/worse to stay?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,654 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
4. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Tamanu Beach is a nice resort, set on the beachfront of Anaunga - mid west. Onsite licenced restaurant, honeymoon suite, among other accommodation villas. Lovely beach for a lengthy stroll, swim and snorkel. Colourful sunsets, facing directly west without any disruption.

A short distance to the south of Tamanu Beach is the Pacific Resort. This is a full service luxury stay, with a main licenced restaurant elevated to catch the lagoon views, and a small casual licenced cafe and bar close to the swimming pool and guests outdoor communal area.

For transport, either use a resort's cycles (if available) or consider hiring a scooter to get about. Nice to stop to admire different areas of the island, and enjoy a meal out for lunch or dinner. Aitutaki Village has its licenced restaurant alongside Ootu channel. Views towards the motu Akitua where the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort is situated.

Aitutaki Lagoon Resort is another possibility. A private islet, with access by way of the resort's small boat operating on request during daytime into late evening. full service resort, with an activities hut for guests use of aqua equipment. Honeymoon suite, in addition to the overwater bungalows, premium beachfront and the other entry level units.

The two main lagoon cruises depart from Ootu Point, to make their way down passage including an extended stop on One Foot islet in the far south-east corner of the lagoon area. Smaller water taxis also available, including tailor-made tours. Bishops serve lunch at their One Foot hut, while the Vaka cruise serves lunch prior to One Foot islet.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
14 reviews
26 helpful votes
5. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Hi TajGirl

Aitutaki is a wonderful choice for your honeymoon. We have stayed 3 times, both at a resort and also a private rental (beachfront) and the prices are hugely different so it does depend on the experience you are wanting while there - whether it’s self catering or doing nothing at all 😊

We loved Pacific Resort for our first trip and the accommodation is beautiful, food amazing and staff genuinely wanting to be sure you have the best experience - there is also a spa there and the ability to hire a car for the day to explore the island. They can also arrange day trips for fishing etc.

I would also highly recommend Tai Marino Beach Bungalows - we loved staying there and they are right on the beach with great swimming at your doorstep. Very private, small but with a great deck, kayaks, etc and good cooking facilities. Vaea is such a wonderful person and will help with arranging car rental, picking up groceries on arrival, etc. Her husband runs one of the fishing boats and is happy to take guests out.

As far as the time of the year goes, I agree with the other comments, but there’s no guarantee so it’s best to go with an open mind and enjoy all Aitutaki has to offer.

Happy to answer any questions you might have, if I can be of any help.

Best wishes

Felicity

Auckland
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
23 helpful votes
6. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Thankyou so much for all your advice and experience. How soon would you recommend booking flights and accomadation for March?

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
14 reviews
26 helpful votes
7. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

From personal experience, my advice would be to start booking now - I’m honestly not sure how busy March is as we don’t travel at that time of the year, but many places are booked well in advance, some up to a year ahead. Having said that, Air NZ run specials from time to time and you can get some good deals. The risk is waiting for those and not having the choice of accommodation. At this point, I would look at what’s available at your preferred accommodation (dates) and at the same time look at flight options, remembering that you cross the dateline so you need to book the night before - for example, if you leave NZ on the 15th, you will want accommodation booked from the 14th. Hope that makes sense!

Best wishes

Felicity

Auckland
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
23 helpful votes
8. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Thankyou Felicity.

Was looking at Tamanu Beach resort last night and really like me the look of it.

The other option for me is the Pacific resort which has all the amenities but pricier

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
39 reviews
57 helpful votes
9. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Hi TajGirl

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, Mrs M and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in 2019 at the Pacific Resort. We were there for 12 days during July / Aug so can’t really comment on the weather in March but I can fully recommend the Pacific Resort. We chose Premium Beachfront Bungalow No 110 right on the beach.

If you do stay at the Pacific Resort there are some things relating to the Villas & Bungalows to be aware of.

The bungalows and villas are strung along the beach front all having beautiful ocean views but the beach in front of the Ultimate Beachfront Villas (Nos 100, 200 & 300) and the Ultimate Beachfront Bungalows (Nos 400 to 900) was very rocky so we avoided these as I prefer a nice open sandy beach.

Whilst there I went for a walk along the beach and past this section of beach and what is not so noticeable on Google maps is that they are set much higher up with quite a few steep steps leading up to them and at high tide there is not much beach at all, I have posted some photos to show this. The bungalows further up (Nos 114 to 120) are then set lower with a good sandy beach in front, the higher the number the better the beach.

All the bungalows to the north of the pool (Nos 101 to 113) all have a nice sandy beach in front even at high tide.

I have some photos and videos I took whilst there that you can view on my Flickr account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mr_misty/albums/72157710388610696

I also wrote a few “Trip Reports” called “Aitutaki (Pacific Resort) Trip Report 1 to 8) on the Aitutaki forum each on relating to specific parts of our visit, it may take a while to read through them all but you may find some of it helpful.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g309704-i2627-o540-Southern_Cook_Islands.html

If the links don’t work you can cut and past them into your browser.

Mr M

Auckland
Level Contributor
41 posts
36 reviews
23 helpful votes
10. Re: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Save

Thankyou so much Mr M, this kind of experience is invaluable for us. Much appreciated :)

Reply to: Aitutaki in March 2024: can we trust the weather?!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aitutaki
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.